Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stewart wingtip total cost and value?

Yes, but you still need, I forget the exact amount, but roughly a couple of feet of both front and rear spar once you take into account both wings... The splice kit is just a chunk of 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate as I remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Univair sells splice kits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Yes, but you still need, I forget the exact amount, but roughly a couple of feet of both front and rear spar once you take into account both wings... The splice kit is just a chunk of 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate as I remember...
    I believe they sell an outboard section of spar but I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

There may be two different methods being discussed. Doing an actual Piper approved spar splice, using two plates and additional spar type material and lots of rivets which is what I had to do since previously the spar caps strips were cut off for the Demmer STC on my plane. Or, the spar extension that is specified in the Sullivan (as well as others) STC. Which requires that the cap strips be straightened and a plate slide into the existing spar. The STC approved splice is easy and you will not need additional spar material. Either type of splice is acceptable.
    Last edited by Stephen; 11-10-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

They may, I haven't looked, just not part of the splice kit. I'm pretty sure I have access to a couple spars left over from damaged wings, It's my intention to just cut the appropriate amount when I get around to doing the tips on my ExAb Stretched pacer(originally done with Blantons plans, started life as a 53 Tri, back when you could still do that). I will look & see how much of each size I can get ahold of...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I believe they sell an outboard section of spar but I could be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I stand corrected, maybe...
    https://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SM003A.pdf
    Says that it includes a spar section, unfortunately I don't see any information as to how long it is, also pretty steep vs finding an old rib & spending some time with a drill to make your own splice plates...

Post Thanks / Like

When I did the "kit" that I got from Stewarts it came with 4 spar pieces that were cut/coved at an angle on the bottom outboard, and the paperwork specified cutting off the cap strips square on the end, then using the included plates and as you mention a LOT of rivets. I have seen in the paperwork for one of the other projects with "PlaneBooster" tips that it spec'ed straightening the cap strips & sliding in a plate(I also spoke to Ron Sullivan a few months ago about potentially replacing the PlaneBoosters droop tips with his & somewhere in the conversation he mentioned that was part of the original intent of his tips, replacing the PBH's as the 'glass in the PB's breaks down or the owner doesn't care for the droops), but that is an entirely different STC than the Stewart tips

Post Thanks / Like

I see as typical univair is proud of their stuff. I ordered the STC over the weekend, soon as I get it in hand and know what I'll need exactly I might be reaching out to anyone that has some chunks laying around.
    I will be recovering the whole wing and doing other stuff at the same time. Thinking about doing a thread on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that is pretty much a given, when I saw the price of the the gear lugs for the front on the conventional gear conversion I decided to make my own, about $130 each for what amounts to a piece of 1/8" thick strap(granted, it's 4130, but it ISN'T GOLD?!?) bent into a U & a welded in bushing on each leg. I think that the cost of materials will be like $10, maybe? Not real sure as I had to buy minimum lengths & I still only spent about $50 for enough material to make like 3 full sets(pair)...

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    I see as typical univair is proud of their stuff. I ordered the STC over the weekend, soon as I get it in hand and know what I'll need exactly I might be reaching out to anyone that has some chunks laying around.
    I will be recovering the whole wing and doing other stuff at the same time. Thinking about doing a thread on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us posted, I just picked up a cub and the ribs are pretty corroded and the leading edge skins are corroded as well. Thinking of doing these wingtips but there isn’t much information on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Received the stc and install manual for the wingtip stc. Looks like I'm in search of two pieces of front spar and rear spar. I'd like to get them 24" long.
    Anyone have something sitting around?1573881266705~2.jpeg