Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Drum Brakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drum Brakes

To All,

I now own my first Drum Brake Tri-pacer. Yes i hae owned numerous others and keep coming back. I now have brake issues that i have never experianced before... I just priced a conversion from Univair, and i only paid $3500 for my first tri-pacer(that is another story, N2319P)and flew it home.

So there has to be something else besides the conversion. How do you make the drums work?

Oh Yeah, How do you drill the new brake pads. Can they be glued on ???

any help would be appreciated.....

Lloyd P.
    Last edited by Eagleavn; 04-05-2019 at 07:25 PM. Reason: mispelled

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Drum Brakes

I have an STC to install single puck 199-46 Cleveland wheel and brakes.. $259 for the STC.. Last time I priced a new kit was around $2000...

Alternatively you can install just a high pressure master cylinder like my vented STC master cylinder for $420.00 and adjust the drums real right to get better brakes...

For the best braking combine both STC’s

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lloyd, I would Google search "drum brakes site:shortwingpipers.org" and you will find a lot of information.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...st-drum-brakes

Post Thanks / Like

I put on a brake booster from Steve a few years back, and there's no comparison. They stop great now. Personally, I see no need for disc brakes. $.02 from me.

Post Thanks / Like

I just converted my TriPacer to a 22/20 and installed double puck disc brakes. I took off a good set single piston Cleveland disc brakes and wheels, they are for sale if you are interested. I also know where a set of Colt disc brakes and wheels are also.

Rick
    rick@kernvalleyairport.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Lloyd, I would Google search "drum brakes site:shortwingpipers.org" and you will find a lot of information.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...st-drum-brakes
    Thanks to all who responded....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleavn View Post
    Thanks to all who responded....
    Welcome Lloyd! I also have a lot of PA22 wheels and brake parts which I dont need, so I can help you out with what I have. New brake linings can be hand drilled and riveted with a an inexpensive lining revit tool and special brass revits.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I made my own linings. McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com) lining # 6175k813 3/16 x 1 1/2 x 3 feet $16 Hollow rivets #97451A652 $11 for 100 Had to make a counter bore tool. Cut the pieces to length, then back drilled thru the shoes and clecoed them on as I went. C bored and riveted. Sure is nice doing a runup at 2,000 and not moving an inch. I highly recomend replacing the O rings on the cylinder pucks at the same time so you won't have to do it twice. Don't ask me how I know. I use the red silicone rings also at McMaster.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank Green; 04-08-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Frank.
    Great info. Do you, by any chance, have the oring part numbers at McMasters? I'm going through my brakes currently. Thanks!
    Brian U.