Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Landing technique

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Landing technique

My Vag floats during flare when using 65MPH for final approach while solo at about 1000 pounds.

Checked to see where the Vag (no VGs or flaps) stalls level with closed throttle at altitude, 38MPH indicated at 1000 pounds. My Vag was weighed after C85 with metal propeller installation, so believe weight is close. At about 1000 pounds solo, weight roughly 13% less than Gross at 1150 pounds. Should reduce stall speed about 6 1/2% from 45MPH @ Gross weight to about 42 MPH @ 1000 pounds. Using 1.3 X Stall speed for final approach, 1.3 X 42 = about 55MPH at 1000 pounds.

Started using 55MPH for final approach. Got rid of float during 3 point flare and found carrying a little power at 55MPH works for wheel landings.

Reference information used, "Getting Down VREF for light aircraft" section:

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...opics/airspeed
    Last edited by rideandfly; 07-31-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bill,

Try flying your Vag at MAUW and you will notice a difference during the flare. Being an extra 150 lb heavier means you have to flare a bit sharper to stop the float becoming a firm touchdown.
    My flying is a mix of solo and at MAUW so I have to remember to bear this fact in mind for smooth landings...
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    Hi Bill,

Try flying your Vag at MAUW and you will notice a difference during the flare. Being an extra 150 lb heavier means you have to flare a bit sharper to stop the float becoming a firm touchdown.
    My flying is a mix of solo and at MAUW so I have to remember to bear this fact in mind for smooth landings...
    TonyN
    Tony,

Most of the time I'm solo, but will get someone to ride for experimenting at gross weight. I lost 20 pounds so far and going for another 20 pounds weight loss, may actually be able to take a 200 pound passenger one day!

Thank for the tips,
    Last edited by rideandfly; 08-01-2019 at 08:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Practice, practice, practice. Work on making every landing a precision landing. As you pull on downwind, pick your intended stopping point, touchdown point, and aim point. With each landing, refine your technique, and pick points that more accurately reflect your skill level. As you get better, you should get to where you can hit your touchdown +-50 ft.. for each landing, consider density altitude, wind, runway surface and slope, and aircraft weight. Keep working and you will get to +-10 feet. When you get there, now start dialing back the speed. Normal flying is 1.3VSo. If you are looking to start working short field, start dialing it back a little at a time until you are comfortable at 1.1 VSo. Practice! If you have a commercial rating see if there is a glider operation near you that will use you as a tow pilot. There is nothing like glider towing to build your skills for speed control and landing technique. I’ve had as many as 42 rows in a day.

Just remember, every landing is a precision landing, just as every take off should be a precision take off figuring the point you will be airborne based on weight, wind, and runway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

David,

This is the first taildragger and airplane without flaps I have owned. Get to fly up to 3 to 4 times per week sometimes.

After seeing where Steve flies, Bar Hopping , made a big impression on me. Started learning about STOL flying. Found backcountry flying tips to be helpful for STOL flying.

https://backcountrypilot.org/stol-tips

Appreciate the tips!

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find a copy, guide to bush flying by F.E. Potts. They are pretty expensive now, but lots of good super Cub and 180 info. Much of it transfers to any airplane.

Enjoy tat Vag!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    If you can find a copy, guide to bush flying by F.E. Potts. They are pretty expensive now, but lots of good super Cub and 180 info. Much of it transfers to any airplane.

Enjoy tat Vag!

Will do!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I fly the pacer the same way I fly every other plane. Seat of the pants. I might take a quick glance at the airspeed but my focus is out the windshiled. You can feel the controls getting mushy if your too slow, add in some power. Watch the target landing spot on the windshield and keep it there. Might mean adding or reducing a bit of power but its all by feel. If you going into short strips on a daily basis, your focus should be outside the plane, not getting locked in on a certain RPM or airspeed. Thats just my .02. This an a few bucks will get you a cup of coffee now days.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    I fly the pacer the same way I fly every other plane. Seat of the pants. I might take a quick glance at the airspeed but my focus is out the windshiled. You can feel the controls getting mushy if your too slow, add in some power. Watch the target landing spot on the windshield and keep it there. Might mean adding or reducing a bit of power but its all by feel. If you going into short strips on a daily basis, your focus should be outside the plane, not getting locked in on a certain RPM or airspeed. Thats just my .02. This an a few bucks will get you a cup of coffee now days.
    I do pretty much the same in GA aircraft, buuuuut....

Before my first landing in a new plane I’ll do a quick power off stall at the flap setting I want to use at a minimum. If I have some time I’ll do a full stall series. I then make a quick swag reference speed to start from. Everything after the turn to final around my reference speed is done outside the cockpit.

I find working around the stall at altitude helps me feel out a new plane’s reactions at low speeds and stall warning cues. The reference number is just a good starting point.

Our fixed wings at work are flown “by the numbers” but they’re a little less forgiving at low speeds.