Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Landing technique

Post Thanks / Like

Default Landing technique

What I am doing is slowing on down wind at 2000 rpm. Abeam the numbers I go to 1500 rpm and first notch of flaps trim for 80 mph. Then on final I ad last notch of flaps and ad some forward pressure to maintain around 80 mph, I do not trim, power on to around flair. This has been working and if I need to go around I just add power and loose flaps and it's already trimmed at the same spot I usually take off at anyway. I'm still new enough I'm not set in my ways yet. I've read other posts on techniques and it seems to be read the manual and find what works for you. Am I doing anything wrong? Manual just says trim for 75 80 after flaps have been lowered, doesn't say when to lower them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Landing technique

I always trim; down wind 1800@80, base 1500@75, final 1300 to 1400 @65 to 70 then trim nose up at short final. I don’t like having to overcome the control bungees. Go around; full power, push the stick forward, right rudder and start trimming nose down. All my landings and takeoff are no flaps.

Post Thanks / Like

I am NO EXPERT but the airplane has been reusable after every landing so that is something. I'm doing about the same thing but I like to trim it along the way. On Downwind I'm at 80 mph and then abeam the numbers I drop closer to 70 mph leaving about 1300rpm until the flair. The first notch of flaps (abeam the numbers) is done with my right foot since we installed the shoulder harness and I can't reach it without loosening the straps. If nothing else it wakes my feet up prior to landing. A lot of times I don't bother with the second notch (I guess I'm just lazy) but it's reachable by hand to add or drop without the contortions. The carb heat typically goes on during downwind and then off again on final.

Post Thanks / Like

On the archer I flew it was abeam 90mph first notch. base second notch 85 and on final last notch of flaps three flicks of the trim. I land kind of similar but without the ground effect and float.
    I'm getting better at turning the trim handle the right direction somtimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Just personal preference, but I like putting in whatever flaps I’m going to use all at once, usually at the turn from downwind to base. Keep the pattern tight so you can make the runway even if the engine stops. (I know, hard to do with the cross country patterns most pilots make). The advantage of doing that is you only have one pitch change to maintain whatever your selected approach speed is. I like to trim to release pressure depending on the airplane (the Howard was trim full nose up on short final).

In any case use what makes you comfortable, then start changing it up so you can modify your approach as needed. I’ve had many occasions where the tower asked to maintain 120 till over the numbers for following traffic. Not hard to do, just requires knowing the airplane and how to get the most out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I keep my pattern just a little closer than I did in the archer and I don't go full flaps till final so if I loose the engine I have less drag till I need it. We did some simulated engine loss pattern hight, 1000ft agl, power to idle, abeam the numbers and head for the field at 85mph. We pushed it out to about a 1.22 miles and still made it fairly comfortable my usual pattern is around 4500 feet away.
    Last edited by Flyjeep; 04-09-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    I keep my pattern just a little closer than I did in the archer and I don't go full flaps till final so if I loose the engine I have less drag till I need it. We did some simulated engine loss pattern hight, 1000ft agl, power to idle, abeam the numbers and head for the field at 85mph. We pushed it out to about a 1.22 miles and still made it fairly comfortable my usual pattern is around 4500 feet away.
    Keep in mind when I had my TriPacer, using the technique I mentioned, I was turning base to final over the approach lights at about 400’. When I said tight pattern I’m meant tight pattern. Figure that turn was about 1000 to 1200 from the runway threshold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Landing technique

I pull the 1st notch of flaps at 95-ish and the second notch below 80 mph. This is to reduce forces on the flap handle which I assume reduces twisting loads on the false spar.

Also, landing at 80 mph seems pretty fast. What’s your plane stall at with your preferred flap setting? I usually (gradually) slow from 80 on downwind-to-base to somewhere near 50 on short final with full flaps. My plane stalls in the low 40 mph range at altitude with full flaps. I usually end up on the ground in the mid-40s in a tail-low wheel landing. All speeds here are indicated mph.

This gives me minimal ground speed which seems to be better for any of the short-coupled directional control characteristics and also for brake wear on roll-out.

EDIT: caught a typo. Should have been downwind-to-base, I don’t fly patterns backwards!
    Last edited by CamTom12; 04-10-2019 at 03:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    I pull the 1st notch of flaps at 95-ish and the second notch below 80 mph. This is to reduce forces on the flap handle which I assume reduces twisting loads on the false spar.

Also, landing at 80 mph seems pretty fast. What’s your plane stall at with your preferred flap setting? I usually (gradually) slow from 80 on final-to-base to somewhere near 50 on short final with full flaps. My plane stalls in the low 40 mph range at altitude with full flaps. I usually end up on the ground in the mid-40s in a tail-low wheel landing. All speeds here are indicated mph.

This gives me minimal ground speed which seems to be better for any of the short-coupled directional control characteristics and also for brake wear on roll-out.
    This is basically how I've been doing my landing in the Pacer. The first notch does very little other than help slow the plane down. I almost always use full flaps on final and control descent with power. I try to make the first turn off.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post

Also, landing at 80 mph seems pretty fast. What’s your plane stall at with your preferred flap setting? I usually (gradually) slow from 80 on final-to-base to somewhere near 50 on short final with full flaps. My plane stalls in the low 40 mph range at altitude with full flaps. I usually end up on the ground in the mid-40s in a tail-low wheel landing. All speeds here are indicated mph.

+1

My technique is pretty much the same. I generally get to full flaps right before turning base, then fly base and the start of final at 70, slowing down to 55-60 on short final depending on weight. Most of my approaches are slight power-on with a bit of throttle over the fence to arrest the descent. I slip almost every landing as needed to hit the spot and stay in tight, so that I could glide to the runway during an engine out. I also prefer tail-low wheel landings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk