Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Landing technique

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Landing technique

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Just know that airspeed indicators indicate different speeds in a lot of the short wings I have flown. I would recomend doing a lot of touch and goes and a lot of runs down the runway as slow as possible just enough to keep from landing. Gives you a good feel of the airplane and where the edge is.
    I will have to try it. Haven't tried it in my plane yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flyjeep View Post
    Ok. I've seen another post somewhere that said they went full flaps down wind, but I thought if I lost the engine they would create a lot of drag. I'll have to try it.
    You know, I figure I rely on that big fan up front to keep me going for every other phase of flight. Why not on landing?
    The problem with a keeping the plane in a place where you can land power out is that it means that you basically have to land power out every time or you'll overshoot your landing spot.
    In a shortwing if you want to have enough energy to flare with engine out you have to dive for the runway and come in with extra speed. If you come in at a reasonable approach speed and no power, flare is virtually non-existent. And I'm not sure what it does to my engine when I close the throttle abeam the numbers and crank her around for a landing -- especially if it's cold outside.

It's much easier to count on the engine to get you to the runway.
    I think the old rule of staying within gliding distance of the runway is from the early days of flying when pilots experienced engine failures with alarming frequency.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t recall ever having full flaps deployed on downwind unless maybe it was to expedite a landing at a military base. It was always fun to do a dive bomber run to the runway for a midfield touchdown. Every engine out simulation I have done involved establishing best glide first with full flaps held in reserve until on short final with no doubt the runway was made. I know when the examiner pulled power and indicated where he expected me to land a quarter way down the runway on my commercial check ride I didn’t go full flaps until I was over the runway but that was a Mooney and I pretty much got to glide a standard powered Pacer pattern in it (and then some).
    Last edited by Jeff J; 04-11-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    I'm about the same as post #1 but at the #s on downwind 3-4 turns up to slow down but still have a light feel on the wheel. Yea Gilbert no flaps, would if you could?
    I have flown so many ShortWing no flap landings, probably over 2500, that when I fly a Pacer or TriPacer I don’t bother.
    Need to slow down or get into a tight spot I just slip. My take-offs are probably a tad longer but the Clipper is pretty light.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Scotthayd. We fly for three hours over all kinds of terrain and worry about an engine failure the last 3 seconds. I believe if we carry some power on base and final and adding flaps on base and final we have less chance of engine failure.

Post Thanks / Like

What I am doing is slowing on down wind at 2000 rpm. Abeam the numbers I go to 1500 rpm and first notch of flaps trim for 80 mph. Then on final I ad last notch of flaps and ad some forward pressure to maintain around 80 mph, I do not trim, power on to around flair. This has been working and if I need to go around I just add power and loose flaps and it's already trimmed at the same spot I usually take off at anyway. I'm still new enough I'm not set in my ways yet. I've read other posts on techniques and it seems to be read the manual and find what works for you. Am I doing anything wrong? Manual just says trim for 75 80 after flaps have been lowered, doesn't say when to lower them.
    I like to feel the weight of the airplane so I trim a little nose heavy and hold back pressure. That allows me to relax a little bit if I want to lower the nose (it is easier for me to pull than push). In general, I trim for neutral until I add the last notch of flaps on final then I hold the attitude how I want it and use power to control speed and decent. About the only time I touch the trim handle on the Cub is after I let someone else fly it. I just leave it trimmed for cruise flight.

Everybody is different. Experiment and see what works best for you. Also, what works best for you will likely change as you become more proficient. I know my techniques have changed over the last 25 years.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 04-12-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

80 is a little fast but it gets me comfortably to the runway and it bleeds off fast after flair. I usually loose the flaps and keep back on the yoke and don't use the brakes much at all. Stall seems to be 45ish full flaps but the nose really doesn't break much. I think that sinking sensation is what keeps me at a higher speed. I will start dropping 5mph and practice. I currently have about 10 hours 40 landings in my plane so this is still all new.
    I’d look into dropping 20mph and practice. For a 45-ish stall speed 60mph gets you 1.3 x Vso.

I consider 1.3 Vso a little fast as well for our planes, but it’s a good place to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    I’d look into dropping 20mph and practice. For a 45-ish stall speed 60mph gets you 1.3 x Vso.

I consider 1.3 Vso a little fast as well for our planes, but it’s a good place to start.
    If you do decide to slow down, be prepared to use more power.
    And sorry for the thread creep, but I highly recommend VGs as a safety mod for shortwings. The VGs gave me much improved aileron and elevator authority at slow speeds. The moment before touchdown, in the middle of the flare I used to mush, tail low until I got the three point touchdown. With VGs everything feels a lot more solid and controlled. It gave me slower stall speeds, too. If you don't have them, look into it.
    Your mileage may vary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scotthayd View Post
    If you do decide to slow down, be prepared to use more power.
    And sorry for the thread creep, but I highly recommend VGs as a safety mod for shortwings. The VGs gave me much improved aileron and elevator authority at slow speeds. The moment before touchdown, in the middle of the flare I used to mush, tail low until I got the three point touchdown. With VGs everything feels a lot more solid and controlled. It gave me slower stall speeds, too. If you don't have them, look into it.
    Your mileage may vary.
    VGs are on the list after ads b and seat belts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    I am NO EXPERT but the airplane has been reusable after every landing so that is something. I'm doing about the same thing but I like to trim it along the way. On Downwind I'm at 80 mph and then abeam the numbers I drop closer to 70 mph leaving about 1300rpm until the flair. The first notch of flaps (abeam the numbers) is done with my right foot since we installed the shoulder harness and I can't reach it without loosening the straps. If nothing else it wakes my feet up prior to landing. A lot of times I don't bother with the second notch (I guess I'm just lazy) but it's reachable by hand to add or drop without the contortions. The carb heat typically goes on during downwind and then off again on final.
    It's good to know I'm not the only to use my right foot to get the first notch of flaps in.
    Jim Kirkendall "Knowledge is good."