Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Static system

Post Thanks / Like

Default Static system

Question for you aeronautical engineers!

I don't have a static system on my PA17 Vagabond and none was ever fitted.
    If I wanted to fit one for my ASI and new electronic AHRS, I suppose I could install one where Piper fitted them on Clippers and Pacers. That is, on the underside of the fuselage.

However, how are static systems tested? How would I know if my newly installed static was performing correctly?
    Must be something better than "trial and error"?

TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Static system

Clipper did not have a static system and Pacers used a stack probe on the pitot tube. Thje later Tri-Pacer had static ports on the belly back in the tail and that installation worked well on the Clipper we installed it on.

Post Thanks / Like

Airplanes certified for IFR have the static system checked regularly. An IA can help you with this. You are probably looking at a field approval.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

A static system check is on a previously calibrated static system. I think the question is where could it be installed that would not be influenced by propeller slip stream or total pressure in flight. You could use the stack probe like Steve said the earlier Pacers and Tripacers used, but I would think the current location would work well on the Vagabond. I am building a Wagabond and that is what I am using for the static system.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

For IFR Cert, I think the only thing they can verify is there are no leaks and for a given pressure (vacuum)
    the altimeter read correctly. I don't know of any way to find out if there are errors caused by the static port
    location/configuration.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

The reason I am asking is I have a small hole in the port side of my boot cown near the venturi. I downsized from a 9" to a 2" venturi.
    The hole has a plastic plug in it but I was wondering if I could use this position as a static port.
    If I did, how would I know it was a good position or not?

I am curious how one determines if the selected static position is optimal, other than connecting to an airspeed indicator and "see what happens".
    Nothing to do with leak checking an installed system.
    Wag Builder Steve: On your Wagabond where exactly have you placed your static?
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

The October 2017 issue of Kitplanes magazine had an article that covered it: "Static Port Location and Altitude Calibration: Often a challenge, accuracy depends on three things: location, location, location". You may have to be a subscriber to view it but here is the link in case you don't: http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/34_1...n_21924-1.html.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi TonyN,

If you connect a sensitive altimeter to your static port and run the engine, see if you get an altitude change. That will show you if you are changing pressure/ vacuum at your static port. Cessna uses the boot cowl for their static port, but look closely, it stands off by about 3mm from the surrounding area.

On my Wagabond I am putting them on the bottom of the fuselage just ahead of the stabilizer. They came directly from and wrecked Tripacer and I am using two ports just like Piper did.

Best of luck,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Thanks for the info. A good idea to test with a sensitive altimeter.
    Harold - unfortunately one has to be a subscriber to view the Kitplanes article.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    Steve,

Thanks for the info. A good idea to test with a sensitive altimeter.
    Harold - unfortunately one has to be a subscriber to view the Kitplanes article.
    TonyN
    A VSI would also give you a good indication if your static port isn’t in a location giving actual static pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk