Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Pa22 fuselage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pa22 fuselage

Looking for a clean Tri-Pacer fuselage for sale, if anyone has one laying around hanging from there hanger ceiling or stuffed in the corner. Please contact me. Thank you Greg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile appIMG_1143.jpgIMG_1143.jpgIMG_1144.jpgIMG_1146.jpgIMG_1147.jpgIMG_1152.jpg
    Last edited by shelbysautosales; 04-18-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pa22 fuselage

What is the story on what the fuselage you have?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    What is the story on what the fuselage you have?
    Well my father bought this out of Texas the airplane was stored for 30+ years, I believe in a barn but not sure. I have purchased a lot of stc’s for this fuselage the longerons are really in my opinion should probably be replaced. My father had this frame bead blasted and then epoxied. He had told them, he wanted it too look nice.They had filled the rust pits with paint and it looked smooth, all good I figured right, NOT I picked the frame up from the shop just before he went west. Through reading everywhere, I started looking at the service bulletin 819 the other day. I started sanding in places and found this nightmare,I have some nice wings that I built with Univair ribs, and Stewart tips, had the engine mount and nose gear rebuilt do to being bent, rudder trim and skylight STCs not yet installed. I could post some pictures but I am sure they won’t show much. So I don’t know what to do now, I’m too deep into it, too scrap it.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, I think I’d have it bead blasted again, then do a good inspection. Replace tubing as necessary, do a final clean up of surface rust and then epoxy prime. Sounds like the inspect and repair steps were missed.

There are other fuselages out there, but you might not find one much better than what you have. You might get lucky but then again you might have more scrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Through FaceBook Aviation Buy, Sell and Trade page. I DO NOT know this individual, just thought I would post it here... There are some pictures posted if you care to go to FaceBook and look up the listing..

Brian.

"I have a multitude of 1957 Tri Pacer parts. I would like to sell everything as a bundle. Although there are too many parts to list they represent about 85% of the plane. It would be a great project plane. I will list as many pictures as I can . No engine,no logs, no airwothiness certificate . I will be glad to answer any questions if you would like to call 301-707-8445. Ask for Rick. everything will be sold as is where is and must be picked up at the Cumberland Regional Airport (CBE) . Airframe is in excellant shape . Wings are also in great shape with left left wing tip bow broken and no spar damage. otherwise wings are in great shape and ready to install. I know that I have only scratched the surface of what i have but please call. Don't miss this bargain. $4,000.00 OBO"

Post Thanks / Like

If this is the plane I am think of, the left main gear colapsed, so I don't know what the damage to the fuselage is but that's why the wingtip bow is broken. It was a nice looking plane mostly red with white trim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Iy is not uncommon to see small pits. I use a pick in the pit and hit it with a plastic hammer to see if the area is soft. Calibrate your elbow on a scrap section of .035" wall 3/4" diameter 4130 steel tubing. I would remove the door frame channels IAW SB819 as well and see what you have. The problem with a replacement fuselage is how do you know it's condition? Replacing lower longerons is not a big deal nor is misc tubes behind the door frames.