Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefly SIM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Surefly SIM

Hi,
    did anyone install the surefly electronic ignition? The model list on their homepage does not list the PA22 for some reason.

Leif

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Surefly SIM

Suspect it was an oversight, call them and ask why. No reason you can’t get a Field Approval or DER approval for a deviation to the STC to allow on PA-22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are approved on all engines. The installation of the manifold pressure sensor and the approval to flip the DIP switches to allow for adjustable in flight timing via manifold pressure/altittude is a seperate airframe STC which new models are getting added daily. They did not want to overwelm the FAA with a list of all airframes. These are the same folks behind the Sky Tec starters and the Plane Power alternator.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for the responses. Meanwhile I also got an answer from surefly:

The PA-22 was accidentally removed from the AML. We Are working with the FAA to restore the AML and add the advance timing feature. We expect to have the AML complete by OShkosh timeframe.

Thanks,
    Jason Hutchison

Post Thanks / Like

I just installed a Surefly SIM4P (replacement for Slick mag with impulse coupling) on my Wagabond with an O-235-L2C out of a C-152. The installation was easy with the most intrusive part being the power wire directly from the battery to the SIM via a 10A SB fuse. It was tricky keeping the gear from moving as the SIM is mounted and aligned to the gear inside the accessory case. I did have to tweak the timing a bit to get the mag drop below 100 RPM - the max allowable mag drop is 150 RPM according to the C-152 POH.

As far as the operation is concerned, there is a slight hesitation (ignition pause) when doing the mag check. This is pointed out in the SureFly manuals. I only have one flight with the SIM installed, but I did notice increased RPM and vertical rate during my usual cruise-climb at 80 MPH IAS. I'll try to quantify that increase in future flights.

In cruise, the RPM peak and drop were less pronounced both on the rich side and lean side. According to what I have read, the SureFly has a much longer spark duration than that of the mag. This may account for the relative flatness of the RPM changes during leaning. Also, I noticed that the engine continued to run smoothly well on the lean side of peak, as SureFly claims. My prop is a climb prop which spins about 2,500 RPM at 80 MPH, so I don't expect to see any improvement in cruise speed. But, I did notice that I reached cruise speed of 110 MPH IAS more quickly in the level-off.

I have 200 hours left on the remaining Slick mag. If all goes well with the SureFly in the next 6-12 months, I'll install a second one with a backup battery system to end the Slick nightmare for good.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. Just waiting for a hiccup from my Slick so I can justify a new SureFly. I think the cost is about the same. No more 500 hour inspections.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I just became an installer. Been studying up. Know those guys from their SkyTec starter and Plane Power alternator days. Sharp bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed one on one of the Sundowners at work. It turns out that the SIM didn't play nice with a few 28v planes, ours included. Surefly's tech support was VERY helpful. They got to the bottom of the issue, and built a kit that fixed the problem, sent to us for free.

Post Thanks / Like

Lycoming is now selling the SureFly with Lycoming branding. If SureFly sells out to them, I hope Lycoming doesn't do what Hartzell did to the PlanePower alternator.
    Last edited by 6PapaWhiskey; 02-05-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just completed the second SureFly SIM installation on my Wagabond replacing the RH Slick mag. To provide redundant power for the second EI, a 4Ah AGM battery was installed with an isolator circuit to allow charging from a single alternator. A dedicated voltmeter is the only other thing powered by that battery, which should provide more than enough power to run the tanks dry in case of an alternator failure. The primary battery is also AGM (Odyssey PC-680) and runs at 14.25V fully charged, while the secondary battery runs at 14.1V. The new battery installation added 3 lbs total.

Dual SIM's aren't approved for normal category aircraft as of yet. But, Lycoming says they are working on it (scroll to the bottom of the page): https://www.lycoming.com/EIS

Because my Wagabond has a digital tach as part of an MGL EMS-1 installation, a SureFly TACH2 signal conditioner was installed. It replaces the UMA tach sender that was installed in the Slick mag. The TACH2 also supports the Horizon tach or any digital tach that uses a 5V square wave input.

The key switch was also removed and replaced with an ElectroAir EA-15000 ignition switch panel. As an experimental, the Wagabond didn't need the STC that accompanies this unit. But, I did like the guarded rocker switches and overall panel setup. The rocker switches eliminate the hesitation caused by the SIM during mag checks. I also don't care for keyed ignition switches. I've had one fail when a terminal lug fell off due to a corroded rivet.