Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pop open window latch mounting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pop open window latch mounting

I bent my lower piece to give the set up a better angle to go over center and keep closed. It did require a little bit of trimming on the upper portion. It doesn’t pop open any longer.

I’m still not super happy with it though.

Post Thanks / Like

As I recall mine was a roll pin on my 1960 PA22 but I now have a cotter pin. Works fine.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Binder post. is that the same as a clevis pin?
    It's one of those bolts that thread into a long female threaded tube. The screw heads are very low profile.

5MA53_AS01.jpg
    Last edited by Kyle Duncan; 10-09-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Duncan View Post
    It's one of those bolts that thread into a long female threaded tube. The screw heads are very low profile.

5MA53_AS01.jpg
    We used those to hold large unbound manuals together. Very handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you indicate how you bent the lower piece? Was the bend significant enough to shorten or lengthen the distance between the ends
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll take a picture tomorrow when I go back out to reprogram my ignitions.

It wasn’t a significant bend, just enough to allow the latch to “cam over” more and stay shut in flight. This was more of a field-expedient fix as I was leaving Fairbanks for Alabama the next morning and didn’t want to be holding the window shut for 4 days.

I’ve got a pretty spartan interior so I had room to go (sort of) under the windowsill. Then I had to trim the upper price a little with a dremel to let it fit around the mounting tabs for the lower piece. It’s been fine for about 300 hours so I don’t think I compromised much strength, I’m just unhappy with the binary window positions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Duncan View Post

5MA53_AS01.jpg
    I was out at the hangar looking at the latch mechanism and one of these wouldn't work for the lower pivot point. There's not enough clearance when the outer sheet metal closes over the lower mount. Even being low profile, the heads would still be in the way. I think a roll pin that doesn't protrude beyond the lower bracket is what will be required. You could maybe crimp in some kind of double ended rivet but I think it needs to be removable so you can access the screw beneath it.

I have some additional pictures I can post later.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Found a picture I took a couple of weeks ago:

You can see the area I trimmed from the upper portion of the latch. The other side is trimmed similarly. This clears the lower portion’s mounting tabs and the bolt/screw that’s mine is mounted with.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=smcnutt;119699]I was out at the hangar looking at the latch mechanism and one of these wouldn't work for the lower pivot point. There's not enough clearance when the outer sheet metal closes over the lower mount. Even being low profile, the heads would still be in the way. I think a roll pin that doesn't protrude beyond the lower bracket is what will be required. You could maybe crimp in some kind of double ended rivet but I think it needs to be removable so you can access the screw beneath it.

You may be correct about the clearance. I've noticed most of them have a higher profile head than the one I have. Mine is very old from the looks of it and has a flat head on both ends. The one's I see at places like Lowe's have a slightly rounded head. May be able to file it down a little or maybe bend the bracket out a little. Just speculating. These are the things that really frustrate me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pop open window latch mounting

Don’t know if the flat head counter sink version would work, but McMaster-Carr has quite a selection of the binder posts, or binding barrels and screws as they define them.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/3185

Page down and you should find this:
    IMG_0077.jpg

Bryan

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app