Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pop open window latch mounting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pop open window latch mounting

I was trying to find the correct drawing to answer my question but couldn't so I will ask here. My left side pop-open window latch is no longer attached to the inside of the side panel. Not sure what was there previously -a special pin or just a bolt. Went to open the window the other day and it swings all the way open. I can still latch it into the closed position. The whole latch mechanism is still attached to the window but this is just where it attaches to the interior side panel. I'm sure I COULD just put any short little bolt in there but I wanted to check and see what is original.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pop open window latch mounting

behind the interior covering is a tab or something that has machine threads for either #6 or #8 I believe.
    Will try and find a picture to post.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. You can see that I inserted a cotter pin where the missing bolt/rivet, etc would have been in the very bottom pivot point. I'm wondering what was originally in there. Since there's a screw holding the bracket to the side-wall, I would guess that there wouldn't have been a permanent rivet there like the other pivot points. That is since it would block being able to put that screw in/out. Also the head of a standard screw&nut would get in the way when you close it and the upper part comes down on top of it.

latch.jpg

I'm thinking (or maybe over-thinking) a Flanged Rivet Nut type fastener with a thin enough head so as to not interfere when it closes? Sounds a little too complicated for what Piper would have come up with though.

Let me know what yours has and/or where/what I should put in there.
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

I can take a pic tomorrow of mine, but as I recall it’s a roll pin

Bryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Most I have seen have a large cotter pin; some have a machine screw with a nylok nut to set a bit of tension.
    My money is on the cotter pin being the original factory style. Piper was super cheap back in the day, if they could save a penny per plane they would. Over the PA22 production run that would be about $90!
    Last edited by Glen Geller; 10-04-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My airplane has a bolt/nylock nut there. It’s a good solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I believe it was a screw and a nut. Sometimes upholstrey can keep the latch from going all the way over center.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I believe it was a screw and a nut. Sometimes upholstrey can keep the latch from going all the way over center.
    I don't know if it's original but I was thinking that might be the purpose of the block of metal at the other end - window side.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Mine looked exactly like the pivot under the knob. When it failed I was having trouble finding something that would fit between the u-channel of the top half and allow it to close. I ended up using a dowel pin and turned a groove in it for an e-clip to slip in and retain it.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Delivered an airplane and Cathy brought me home via a fly in so I am in my office cooling off instead of out in the hanger working and did some digging on this issue. Seems the earlier airplanes used tubular rivets and the later ones screw.
    From Figure 27. Cockpit Finishing Installation there are listed 4 drawings entitled Fuselage Assembly, Complete. They are all serial number specific and the first one is for the sliding windows. The other three 13906, 14696 and 15143 show the window latch assembly in detail. I have cut the section that applies and included here. We are so lucky to have all of these drawings at our fingertips thanks to those at the Short Wing Piper Club who took on this project and gave us these drawing CDs.
    13906 Section W Window Latch.pdf

14696 section U Window Latch.pdf

15143 Section W Window Latch.pdf