Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shortwing higher altitude performance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shortwing higher altitude performance

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Van’s RV6 kit modified by Steve. No cracks except the rear mount oil cooler mod. A 4130 angle fixed that permanently .
    Yup, I did this too. Van's kit modified and sealed with NO gaps. I still run with number 4 in the low 400's. It drives me crazy.

My rear oil cooler also cracked the baffle. I added a heavy duty reinforcement.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Yup, I did this too. Van's kit modified and sealed with NO gaps. I still run with number 4 in the low 400's. It drives me crazy.

My rear oil cooler also cracked the baffle. I added a heavy duty reinforcement.
    Stephen, hows your oil cooler opening in relation to that cylinder? I see measurable differences in my #4 CHT with a small change in blockage on my 4” SCAT inlet. We can go to PM or start a new thread - I’d like to help if I can. An additional baffle back there might work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Stephen, hows your oil cooler opening in relation to that cylinder? I see measurable differences in my #4 CHT with a small change in blockage on my 4” SCAT inlet. We can go to PM or start a new thread - I’d like to help if I can. An additional baffle back there might work for you.
    My oil cooler is attached directly to the rear baffle. I have been wondering about the opening for the cooler. My oil temperature is slightly low especially when I remove the winter cover. I will try closing off some of the opening to the cooler and see if it makes a difference. When I am at higher altitudes in cooler air my number 4 CHT runs under 400, except during climbs.

You have different cowling with smaller inlets. What CHT's are you seeing?
    Last edited by Stephen; 05-13-2019 at 12:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The mountains to the east of Taos can be rather turbulent depending on temp, winds and time of day. There is also a good route from the south around Santa Fe.
    Good book I am presently reading now on Mountain flying with lots of good information and interesting stories to keep my attention.
    http://www.asa2fly.com/Mountain-Cany...ook-P4071.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

When flying anywhere West of the Front Range I try to take-off at sunrise and quit at noon or so. Much more pleasant flying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The mountains to the east of Taos can be rather turbulent depending on temp, winds and time of day. There is also a good route from the south around Santa Fe.
    Good book I am presently reading now on Mountain flying with lots of good information and interesting stories to keep my attention.
    http://www.asa2fly.com/Mountain-Cany...ook-P4071.aspx
    Interesting looking book. It comes out on Amazon this month for $25 in paper back. I got it on order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    My oil cooler is attached directly to the rear baffle. I have been wondering about the opening for the cooler. My oil temperature is slightly low especially when I remove the winter cover. I will try closing off some of the opening to the cooler and see if it makes a difference. When I am at higher altitudes in cooler air my number 4 CHT runs under 400, except during climbs.

You have different cowling with smaller inlets. What CHT's are you seeing?
    With my new 4” SCAT tube to the oil cooler (right behind #4) wide open and leaned as much as I can, which is usually close to peak on most cylinders (75% and below), I’m seeing 340-350 deg EGTs. That has netted oil temps of 150 deg in OATs up to the mid 70’s. It hasn’t been any warmer at altitude yet this year.

I haven’t quite got my appropriate oil cooler blockage figured out yet. I’m currently 1/2 blocked and waiting for weather/work to cooperate for another test flight.

Before I moved the oil cooler and opened that large hole I saw 330-340 CHTs at cruise but OTs in the 220-ish range.

Do you have a baffle on the front of your engine? What do your other CHTs look like?

Post Thanks / Like

Post a picture of the Baffle/scoop you have on #4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Post a picture of the Baffle/scoop you have on #4.
    A picture would be great. I don't get what your set up looks like.

Last year I replaced my engine baffels with a Van's set that I modified to fit snugly. I have no gaps. I saw no sifgnificant decre3ase in my CHT's.

The only option I have left (that I can think of) is blocking off some of my oil cooler, which is mounted on ther left rear baffel.

I see that Airforms makes a set of baffles for opur planes but, I can't see how can make a difference.

CHT's are my main concern when going into the mountains.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my current setup, to include the small baffle I made to help separate the air for the oil cooler and the air for the cylinder.