Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: vert. fin removal. ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default vert. fin removal. ?

Have a pa22 that I want to pull out the vert. fin where it plugs into the tail post and the front socket. The bolts had some rust so Im
    assuming the interface between the tubes has some also. Anyone have a trick how to pull them apart ---- how to exert enough force
    and NOT bend any of the piper channel or collapse the tuning ? I warmed the joints up with propane and then added PB blaster---
    Didn't get it real hot (maybe under 200F)

I really don't want to have to split the front stub to get it loose (and replace it later) unless it needs to be replaced due to rust. I am considering
    doing the sleeve re-enforcement of the tailpost where the tail wheel bracket welds on. (while its naked)

Any clever ideas ?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: vert. fin removal. ?

Soak the joints for a day or so with good penetrating oil. Tap on the outter tubing when you heat and, Good luck.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I have soaked the joint with PB a couple days ago after a low heat with propane to maybe expand the outer tubes and maybe break the rust connection.

I am thinking of taking oak or hard maple split blocks which have a snug passage for the inner tubes--- maybe ad some powdered baseball rosin for friction---
    C-Clamp the blocks onto the tube tightly--- then put the rivet gun on the end of the wood blocks. Thinking that might allow me a good grasp onto the tubes
    and some vibration to help dislodge it. I may try that hot--- maybe heat the outer tube to about 300-400F and then use the pne. hammer.

Any "secret" techniques" out there ????

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Usually if you can get the leading edge of the stab out you can rotate the stab on the tail post and it will break free. I have also done like you suggested and put a block in the fin rib and tapped on it close to the tailpost to beak it free. Worse case sceneario would be to cut the front tube, rotate to break the tail post free and then weld it back on.

Post Thanks / Like

Cuss a lot, cut it off, pull it out with a slide hammer, buy new one from univair.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

trying to avoid that last one
    I have it home now so I can take my time and try some things at a more relaxed pace. I sense that if the front come out - rotation might break loose the rear.
    I want to look down the rear to see the inside of the tailpost. (see if there is a rust situation--)

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post
    trying to avoid that last one
    I have it home now so I can take my time and try some things at a more relaxed pace. I sense that if the front come out - rotation might break loose the rear.

Tim
    Yes, have gotten several out that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Tonight I made hard maple split blocks to grab the 1/2 inch upper front tube. Made a oak saddle to rest on the cross tube at the socket. Used 2 bolts with coupler nuts
    between them to work as jack screws. The ends of the coupler nuts just penetrated the oak and the tubing never moved. The split maple blocks held great though.
    I may try making a steel saddle to bear on the socket area--- so nothing to give like the oak did.....

I have used coupler nuts and bolts to split a turbocharger without getting the shaft in a bind as the halves are spreading. worked good .
    Next few days I will try that and more serious heat on the socket as well.

Anyone want pics ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sure, I think I can picture it in my mind but a real picture would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

have a pic on my camera - just have to get it to computer....