Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Colt Steering Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colt Steering Rods

What is the proper installation for the colt steering rods? Image 1 is my colt, image 2 is tripacer installation. The tri-pacer has the rods above the steering horn, the colts are below, also the colts right arm is bowed in, and the tripacer rods are both bowed out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Colt Steering Rods

I am pretty sure the arms have to be bowed out to clear the engine. I would look at the drawings CD for the placement of the rods on the steering arm, I don't remember.

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at the two pictures I think you can answer your own question. In the first picture you can see the steering rods are contactin the motor mount at both the firewall and at the steering arm ends and in the second picture you can see the clearence between the rods and mounts. I agree with Steve on the bowed out to clear the engine, I know that's how mine are. I would check the CD to be sure.

Bets of luck,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post
    If you look at the two pictures I think you can answer your own question. In the first picture you can see the steering rods are contactin the motor mount at both the firewall and at the steering arm ends and in the second picture you can see the clearence between the rods and mounts. I agree with Steve on the bowed out to clear the engine, I know that's how mine are. I would check the CD to be sure.

Bets of luck,

Steve

Haven't done a clearance check yet but looks like there has been contact with the steering damper and the mount. 0-320 I'm putting in is tore down right now for a clean/inspection so will have to wait to check clearance on it. The arm is flat so the rods can be installed above or below with ease. Looks like picture 2 is the correct installation, don't have the SWPC disc yet but it's on my wish list!

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked it up on drawing number 15142 for the PA 22-108 Colt the steering rods are attached on top of the arm and the steering damper attaches on the underside.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, thanks for looking that up!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Colt Steering Rods

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    What is the proper installation for the colt steering rods? Image 1 is my colt, image 2 is tripacer installation. The tri-pacer has the rods above the steering horn, the colts are below, also the colts right arm is bowed in, and the tripacer rods are both bowed out.
    Hi, my 22 (s/n 22/7357 160 hp) has both steering rods bent on left side, and fixed on top.IMG_7186.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the image!