Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tri Pacer hubcaps....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tri Pacer hubcaps....

Hi,

Since Iím new to owning an airplane and the type certificate world, I thought I ask about hubcaps and wheel pants. Since Iím doing my primary flight training in my new to me Tripe Iíve concluded itíd be better to leave the wheel pants off, and was thinking about buying a seat of hubcaps instead. Since itís the original 6x6 Cleveland wheels, do I need a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) do cover the change in wheel covers?
    Thanks,

Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tri Pacer hubcaps....

The removal will require a weight and balance calculation and document in the maintenance log and the operation manual/equipment list. If you have the original equipment list it will show the wheel pants as an option.

Post Thanks / Like

You do not have to have hubcaps, makes it a lot easier to inspect and check tire pressure, but you do lose some speed/economy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    You do not have to have hubcaps, makes it a lot easier to inspect and check tire pressure, but you do lose some speed/economy!
    In all honesty, I know it’s easier to maintain without the hubcaps on, I rather prefer the look of having a nice set covering up the wheels.

Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    The removal will require a weight and balance calculation and document in the maintenance log and the operation manual/equipment list. If you have the original equipment list it will show the wheel pants as an option.
    Okay, good to know. I just had the annual inspection performed. Actually, I’m very experienced with weight and balance, having had to install 70 lbs in my SCCA race car to make minimum weight, then perform a corner balance job to equalize the front corner weights to get a straight braking characteristics...

Post Thanks / Like

a pain for checking tire pressure or adding air but sure keeps the wheel and bearing seals clean
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Why do you want to remove the wheel pants for training?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Why do you want to remove the wheel pants for training?
    Well, it’s not so much removing them. It’s more like I need to install them, and I’d rather not damage them while I learn and possibly do something “bone headed”.

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

IIWM [If it were me]
    I would continue training with the wheel pants on [if you bought the plane with them on] or off [if you have them off following an inspection].
    In short, I would FLY and get to know my plane. After a few annuals, you can decide if you want them on or off. I think wheel pants are a pain -
    and obstruct my view of the tires. You may be able to see in my avatar pic that I don't have wheel pants but I do have hubcaps. To your original question,
    I don't think you need any special permission for hubcaps - they probably came from the factory with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have pants, some where in the attic. It is much easier to get in and out stepping on the tire than stepping over the pants. To add hub caps you need 2 things, one the caps themselves and the axle cover adapters. I had one original but made 2 new ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Super Stub-