Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My CFI needs a CFI in So-Cal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My CFI needs a CFI in So-Cal

My experience was similar. My insurance required an instructor with 10 hrs in type. No instructors around had that. But the owner of the
    tripacer took an instructor up and checked him out in 2 hrs and my insurance accepted that the instructor then gave me a very thorough
    checkout - 4 hrs I think. Now I was a newly minted private pilot at that time.

p.s. don't think much of 50 hrs without solo...I understand that new thinking has students doing almost all the skills prior to solo
    so many students have higher hours pre-solo
    Last edited by Old3pacer; 06-18-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can fly KitFox, at least the early 2,3 or 4 you can fly any light taildragger.
    After 200 hours in a Model 3, landing my Clipper the first time was easy. I felt I could land it half a sleep.

Post Thanks / Like

I called the broker, they’re not budging on the time in make/model, and said it’s a standard requirement for all insurance plans. They suggested they would see if they couldn’t help find a CFI with time in a Piper Tri-Pacer, but so far no luck....

Post Thanks / Like

How about a regular private pilot with shortwing experience flies with your CFI. They both log the time because a CFI can do that. Then
    your CFI has the required time and he can instruct you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind_Fan View Post
    I called the broker, they’re not budging on the time in make/model, and said it’s a standard requirement for all insurance plans. They suggested they would see if they couldn’t help find a CFI with time in a Piper Tri-Pacer, but so far no luck....
    It is not standard for all insurance plans. A friend just bought a late model PA-18 following the flipping of his PA-12 last winter,
    He shopped around and found 10 hours with CFI no restrictions for CFI experience.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind_Fan View Post

Well your broker speaks with forked tongue When Son needed checked out in our SNJ-4 he was checked out by a NON CFI that had many hours in Warbirds. Same with my neighbor that bought a DGA-15. The non CFI owner checked him out and all he need was 5 hours in the DGA. Yes he already had the tail wheel endorsement in a Cub.
    Ladd Gardner Aviation Insurance knows the problems and will work with you. He is also one of us.

"p.s. don't think much of 50 hrs without solo...I understand that new thinking has students doing almost all the skills prior to solo
    so many students have higher hours pre-solo"

Yea what happened to the avg. solo in 10 hrs I soled in 6 and started instruction in a J-3 than had to switch to a 150 due to no student insurance on the Cub and had 4 different instructors.This was in 1964 and things were a lot different then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wyandot jim View Post

"p.s. don't think much of 50 hrs without solo...I understand that new thinking has students doing almost all the skills prior to solo
    so many students have higher hours pre-solo"

Yea what happened to the avg. solo in 10 hrs I soled in 6 and started instruction in a J-3 than had to switch to a 150 due to no student insurance on the Cub and had 4 different instructors.This was in 1964 and things were a lot different then.
    Re the time I have in my log book... About half of it was with the Navy Flying Club in Monterey. In an hour session I’d spend 40 minutes flying through controlled airspace. So I’ve got mixed feelings, but I know it’s gonna be better learning in my own airplane here where I’m at and surrounded by uncontrolled airports.

Post Thanks / Like

I was getting the runaround from my previous insurance company when I started flying my pacer. They wanted my CFI to have 20 hours in make and model. They also wanted me to have I think it was 20 hours dual. I ended up going with Travers insurance. They were fine with my cfi’s experience in other planes and only required 1 hour dual for me, but I ended up flying about 5 hours with him before I felt comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I’d recommend calling Dana Boucher. He does a great job at working with the insurance companies to get good, common sense coverage at great rates.

913-491-1999

Post Thanks / Like

Angelia Hunt
    Duncan Insurance
    Waxahachie, TX
    972-227-8688
    Tailwheel friendly, common sense oriented folks. I have my Maule and my C180 with them