Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My CFI needs a CFI in So-Cal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My CFI needs a CFI in So-Cal

I'll be in the Bakersfield/Tehachapi region this fall and could check out your CFI. I hope for your sake that you've sorted out the situation by then. After a number of hours instructing in the 152/172 the transition to the tri was not an issue. As others have said, I'm surprised the insurance company is being so troublesome. I insured with travers insurance out of St. Louis. Insured me in the pacer with no check out. I made sure I got one anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

@Tailwind_Fan what airport are you based? I'm not a CFI but I have a 22/20 in Tehachapi and a couple of my coworkers have Tri-Pacers, I could ask if they know of any CFIs familiar with the type.

@wmvosburgh what's bringing you to Tehachapi this fall?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevbot View Post
    @Tailwind_Fan what airport are you based? I'm not a CFI but I have a 22/20 in Tehachapi and a couple of my coworkers have Tri-Pacers, I could ask if they know of any CFIs familiar with the type.

@wmvosburgh what's bringing you to Tehachapi this fall?
    I’ll either be flying out of Inyokern or Trona, Inyokern is 15 minutes away but getting a hanger is a 2+ year wait , Trona is a good half hour + but I’m sure there’s hanger space. My Tri-Pacer is currently in Tehachapi until we’re done with the post annual fixes. I’m a pre-solo student pilot, so I’ll need a CFI. But in the hanger kitty corner is a CFI named Dave who has previously flown this particular airplane. So, maybe after a couple of longish lessons?? I can have my Regular NATPS approved CFI start giving me dual time? Maybe you or a coworker knows Dave?

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wmvosburgh View Post
    I'll be in the Bakersfield/Tehachapi region this fall and could check out your CFI. I hope for your sake that you've sorted out the situation by then. After a number of hours instructing in the 152/172 the transition to the tri was not an issue. As others have said, I'm surprised the insurance company is being so troublesome. I insured with travers insurance out of St. Louis. Insured me in the pacer with no check out. I made sure I got one anyway.
    Thank you for the offer, I hope to be doing my final pre-check ride flights by October... my Tripe is in a hanger on the East side closet to the little pick-nick spot...
    06829C7F-BB91-434D-9912-B339E1941FAB.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind_Fan View Post
    I’ll either be flying out of Inyokern or Trona, Inyokern is 15 minutes away but getting a hanger is a 2+ year wait , Trona is a good half hour + but I’m sure there’s hanger space. My Tri-Pacer is currently in Tehachapi until we’re done with the post annual fixes. I’m a pre-solo student pilot, so I’ll need a CFI. But in the hanger kitty corner is a CFI named Dave who has previously flown this particular airplane. So, maybe after a couple of longish lessons?? I can have my Regular NATPS approved CFI start giving me dual time? Maybe you or a coworker knows Dave?

-Alana
    Cool! I know the plane. Dave is one of my coworkers and he did a prebuy/flight on it for another buddy that just bought a 172A. There's lots of shortwing action going on at TSP right now; I knew your plane was getting worked on, as well as my Pacer and another Tri-Pacer both getting annuals, and one being rebuilt. There's lots of fun flying up around Inyo county.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: My CFI needs a CFI in So-Cal

Tailwind, If you can afford it, advertise for a CFI with PA22 experience, anywhere within ~500 miles.
    Fly/bus them to your home field and then fly them back to their home in your PA22, stopping at lots of different fields on the way.
    Do your solo in there, your long solo X/C, etc, and finish it up to earn your certificate.
    Then fly home with you new ticket over ground you recently saw, so not too scary.
    All it takes is some money/time/luck.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone, there’s some really good suggestions and solutions here. I’m wrapping up this thread by going with a different insurance broker. While I’m paying a more, sometime you have to to get what you need.

Alana

Post Thanks / Like

I'm late to this fight. If you own the airplane, self insure until your instructor gets 10 hours. If you are financing the airplane, put it on a credit card, then let him fly with you for 10 hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    I'm late to this fight. If you own the airplane, self insure until your instructor gets 10 hours. If you are financing the airplane, put it on a credit card, then let him fly with you for 10 hours.
    Might be an option in case of a ground loop, etc. for simple hull coverage. However, might get a little more iffy if something more drastic happens involving another airplane or a hangar or worse. Unfortunately, you just never know what or if something will happen.

I guess it's all a matter of the level of risk that you can live with for those 10 hours. Yet if you purchased the policy and something major happened but the PIC didn't meet the insurance requirements then I guess it would be up to the lawyers anyway - as it usually is.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

I might be able to help, I’m in Corona with a taildragger PA-22.

Chris