Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Door Lock

Post Thanks / Like

Default Door Lock

My 1963 Colt come to me without a door lock key. Had one made yesterday based on number on lock cylinder; PK622. Key turns cylinder almost 180 degrees. Last bit to lock does not work. Did some research and it appears that a Pull Key is needed to remove cylinder. Can't find one however. A couple of questions?

1. Is a Pull Key the way to remove the cylinder, as opposed to a rear access triggering of a retaining clip as was suggested by a local locksmith?

2. What is the interface between the cylinder and the lock mechanism?

Going to try some heavy duty lubrication next time I'm at the hangar.

Thanks,

Jerry
    Last edited by CTJER; 06-12-2019 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added "not"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Door Lock

All fixed. WD40 allowed full key travel with a little encouragement. I pulled the sidewall trim to see what was going on. Turns out that the lock cylinder turns a blade that enters a slot on the latch housing. Once in the slot the blade prevents the door latch button from being depressed; thus locking the door. Cleaned and lubed all. Now I have a lockable door. Interestingly even if blade is in the locked position the interior door handle will open the door.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

From my memory the locks are the same used on file cabinets. Glad you got it working.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a file cabinet or furniture type lock. Local shop that made key from data base, told me that the key was referenced a being used on Cessna airplanes. Back in the day Cessna and Piper were obviously using off the shelf hardware where ever they could.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

It used to be that with about a half dozen Cessna keys you could get into and turn the mags on pretty much any Cessna or Piper. The door locks were harder as they were seldom used, but for the mag switches, they are typically so worn you only need about 3 keys to find one that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I know a lot of FBOs, especially older established ones, that have a keyring of a couple of dozen, or more, keys collected over the years that when gone through will work in most any door lock or mag switch. The problem is remembering which one the next time you have to visit.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Had a transient Comanche with a bad battery once. Installed a new battery and gave him an invoice. I don't take credit cards and he agreed to send me a check. Sent a bill to the address on the registration and still nothing. Years later I had moved out of the city hanger and bought my hanger across the field and saw this same Comanche come in on Saturday afternoon and left before I could get up there. Pulled out the coffee can full of keys and the secpnd key opened the baggage and I retrieved my battery. Went flying all day the next day but when I returned he was taxiing around after hand propping but was scared to take off with the retractable gear. After many BS excuses he paid his bill and got a battery and a pair of rusty pliers. Saw him departing as I went into town for dinner that evening.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a very funny story!
    OK, maybe not so funny at the time but now, FUNNY