Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: primers for steel tube-- compatable with polyfiber

Post Thanks / Like

Default primers for steel tube-- compatable with polyfiber

I am stripping and cleaning -blasting in spots- on steel tubing. getting rid of the old 25 year old gook that wasnt put on well--
    I keep hearing that polyfiber is the least finnickey of the covering systems---- so I's considering that as my default system when I get to that stage.
    In the mean time I want to be priming as I go. After I strip / blast--- i intend to phosphate and then epoxt prime with something----
    I have been using stewarts 2 part water based epoxy on sheet aluminum bearhawk ribs. Like it OK for that--- but I'm not sure I want to shoot water
    base anything over steel tubing---- (rust?) So Im thinking I want to use a traditional 2 part solvent based epoxy. Will any of the common ones
    be compatible with the glue for polyfiber ? I would THINK that any well cured epoxy could be impervious to fabric glues--- but im NOT sure of that----

I want to start out with a product that I KNOW wont have a bad reaction or lift unexpectedly...… when hit with the fabric glue.....

I can call stitts---- but concerned they might not recommend other product brands which might be fine chemically.

Thanks for any experiences related....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: primers for steel tube-- compatable with polyfiber

Sounds like you want Stits EP-420 Primer

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Epoxy paint over the primer, preferably two coats.
    EAA Technical Counselor #4562
    Experimental Aircraft Association #140897 (1977)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use to use the Poly Fiber epoxy primer but it takes up to a week to cook before it can be top coated or covered over. I started using PPG DPLF 2 part epoxy primer because it can be top coated a few hours later. I have not covered over the top of it because primer is not a sealer and it will evntually show rust. I top coat the epoxy primer with catalyzed polyurethane Aerothane or Randthane. No rust and not effected by PolyTac or other solvents.
    PPG DPLF Epoxy Primer

Post Thanks / Like

I use PPG DP48LF and DP402LF activator 2 part white epoxy primer under polyfiber. The STC calls for epoxy primer not necessarily theirs. It is available locally from a auto body supply store. Comes in 2 varieties, mix and shoot with a short pot life (402) or mix and wait with a longer pot life(401). I like the mix and shoot as I mix what I think I need but if I run short no big deal or waste by mixing too much. Toooo expensive to waste.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Steve I think we were typing at the same time but on the same wavelength.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

I use Nason Ful-Poxy DTM (Direct To Metal) primer. I can get it locally in quarts or gallons and it is much cheaper than the EP-420. All epoxy primers have a 7 day cure time for full cure, but as Steve said if you topcoat it should be done within about 30 minutes and can be covered in less time. I generally wait the 5-7 days because I have plenty of other stuff to do anyway but moisture will not penetrate the cured epoxy and I have never seen rust trough the epoxy like with the single stage primers. The 491-16 is a primer sealer and is a light gray and does have an induction time of either 30 or 60 minutes depending on temperature. Also available is 491-35 off white and has no induction time.
    Last edited by Wag-builder; 06-13-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant see any reason to top coat an epoxy primer if you don't mind whatever color it is--- am I right in thinking it should be just as impervious to environment as an epoxy paint
    which you might overcoat it with ? So- all the topcoat would be doing is changing the color and gloss --- do I have that right ? So I could only use a topcoat maybe in the cockpit where it shows...…
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post
    I cant see any reason to top coat an epoxy primer if you don't mind whatever color it is--- am I right in thinking it should be just as impervious to environment as an epoxy paint
    which you might overcoat it with ? So- all the topcoat would be doing is changing the color and gloss --- do I have that right ? So I could only use a topcoat maybe in the cockpit where it shows...…
    Tim
    Do a little reading on primers and you will find out they are designed as primer for top coat not as a sealer. I have worked on a lot of tube and fabric airplanes over the years and it becomes very obvious which fuselages have primer on them and which have been top coated with polyurethane. There is a reason Aviat, American Champion and Maule do it.

Post Thanks / Like

And AirTractor which get doused with all sorts of chemicals.
    Air Tractor primed and top coated my fuselage 15 years ago. The only rust I have is the engine mount which was powder coated.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 06-13-2019 at 06:32 PM.