Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: primers for steel tube-- compatable with polyfiber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: primers for steel tube-- compatable with polyfiber

That was basilcly the question----

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Steve - I have seen other people have that same experience....... dont want to repeat THAT-----
    "those who dont learn from history are doomed to repeat it "

Post Thanks / Like

Violinmaker,
    If it helps, when I recovered my Vagabond fuselage (using Ceconite) I followed the paint recommendations in the Ceconite manual.
    That is, Randolph Epoxy primer kit - white (W224 on the steel frame then, based on Steve P's advice re: topcoating, topcoated with Randolph Ranthane - Lockhaven Yellow.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading the battle between polyfiber and stewarts-- am leaning towards stewarts. have been using stewarts
    eco-poxy on the aluminum ribs on the bearhawk. The clean-up with water is hard to beat. Your gun stays nice and clean
    without a lot of solvent based gyrations. Doesn't seem to be any harder than others--- and I have read that you can use about any final topcoat .
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

talked to Stewarts--- they said their eko-poxy would be fine or the single stage as well. He also said that if I let it cure out--
    a simple scotch brite scuff is all that is needed before topcoating the tubing with eco-crylic.

But I still have to decide stewarts vs. polyfiber. Watched several stewarts videos. now to watch ply videos.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post
    talked to Stewarts--- they said their eko-poxy would be fine or the single stage as well. He also said that if I let it cure out--
    a simple scotch brite scuff is all that is needed before topcoating the tubing with eco-crylic
    Need a clarification...when you say 'single stage' are you referring specifically to Stewarts Eko-Prime single part primer?

Post Thanks / Like

My Vagabond was covered in AirTech and painted with their catalyzed polyurethane. One wing was still cotton with the polyurethane on top of the original paint. I recovered that wing with Stewart’s and used their catalyzed polyurethane top coat. The shine and color matched the AirTech.

The aircraft is hangared on a grass strip in a farm field. Consequently it gets a lot of dust and during harvest soybean thrashing dust coming thru the cracks and crevices in the hangar. In the spring I pulled it out and washed just before it’s March annual. All that dust and crap washed right off the AirTech but I had to wash the the wing covered in Stewart’s three times and it still looked dirty. I finally had to get up there on a ladder and hand scrub it with 409 before it looked clean.

For that reason I wouldn’t use Stewart’s top coat. I would use the process up thru the final paint and then would use AirTech or Ranthane.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 07-12-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Roger--- yes--- the "one-part" primer ----- (non epoxy version)
    Gilbert--- I think I remember seeing on one of Stewarts videos that you can topcoat with about anything - as far as chem
    compatibility. I have seen that many automotive PU paints become too hard for fabric flexing and will get hundreds of cracks
    later on. My wings were painted about 20 years ago- but never installed or used--- and they are cracked like that. he must have used automotive paint like Imron or something even harder...… Doesn't matter now because it all gonna get removed....

I will look up AirTech. Havnt heard of that version.....
    Tim