Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: primers for steel tube-- compatable with polyfiber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: primers for steel tube-- compatable with polyfiber

I am confused.

The Poly Fiber STC states “Remove original cloth covering and install Poly-Fiber covering material in accordance with Procedure Manual NO.1, How to Cover An Aircraft Using the Poly-Fiber System, dated July 2001, or later FAA approved revision.”

So, you have to follow the manual.

The Poly-Fiber manual states “If you’re re-covering a certified aircraft, you must follow the basic steps in this manual without any deviations or substitutions.”

OK, no substitutes.

The P-F manual [airframe prep] also states “Use only two-part epoxy primers …”, and the manual specifically calls out to prime steel tube structures with PF EP-420, using EP-430 Catalyst, and thin per directions with E-500 Reducer.

So how can you use other epoxy primers or powder coat and be in compliance with the Poly-Fiber STC?

[I’m not trying to argue this, I’m just trying to get a clarification. Thanks]

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think you are correct that the STC must be followed--- however the two statements seem a little contradictory-- "use only 2 part epoxy primers" and then "ep-420"...
    I prob should get the manual before I purchase any epoxy primers. (maybe call them too)

T

Post Thanks / Like

Steve and gilbert-----
    OK-- that's what I wanted to know--- so even though its epoxy primer --- there must be a certain level of porosity even after cure. So maybe long term some moisture could get through to the steel and make rust...…
    So that means I should plan to topcoat the primer within an appropriate short time after priming.

That's what I needed to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger That View Post
    I am confused.

The Poly Fiber STC states “Remove original cloth covering and install Poly-Fiber covering material in accordance with Procedure Manual NO.1, How to Cover An Aircraft Using the Poly-Fiber System, dated July 2001, or later FAA approved revision.”

So, you have to follow the manual.

The Poly-Fiber manual states “If you’re re-covering a certified aircraft, you must follow the basic steps in this manual without any deviations or substitutions.”

OK, no substitutes.

The P-F manual [airframe prep] also states “Use only two-part epoxy primers …”, and the manual specifically calls out to prime steel tube structures with PF EP-420, using EP-430 Catalyst, and thin per directions with E-500 Reducer.

So how can you use other epoxy primers or powder coat and be in compliance with the Poly-Fiber STC?

[I’m not trying to argue this, I’m just trying to get a clarification. Thanks]
    They way I read the manual and the discussions I have had with Polyfiber is the manual calls out how wide your glue joint is, legal mechanical attachment to the structure etc but there is a lot of guidance not regulation.

Post Thanks / Like

Polyfiber has changed the manual many times. To make the change legally binding they have to change the STC which they have not done. The FAA person responsible for the fabric STC told Steve and I this at OSH a number of years ago. I have a collection of early PolyFiber manuals. I pick the one that suits my needs and reference it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Polyfiber has changed the manual many times. To make the change legally binding they have to change the STC which they have not done. The FAA person responsible for the fabric STC told Steve and I this at OSH a number of years ago. I have a collection of early PolyFiber manuals. I pick the one that suits my needs and reference it.
    I can work with thatthumbs-up-emoji 2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I guess my question was more aimed at practical and legal aspects----
    The last thing I want is to prime the whole bird--- start attaching the fabric with the glue and 2 or 3 days later discover the glue is reacting with the primer and causing
    the primer to chemicaly react----- and release the primer from the steel surface. I have heard of this happening with ceconite...... but dont remember which primer it was.

I know an a+p/AI who used to work in the paint industry. he likes Dupont corilar for steel. I think he overcoats it with a PU top coat before covering....

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a friend buy some high dollar paint from a local body shop. I asked him about compatibility and he told me it would work. We started covering his fuselage and as we glued to the second longeron the fabric started coming off the first. The paint came off like paint stripper had been applied. I was reading the Poly Fiber Procedure manual last night and they advice and recommend but don't say you must use this or that.

Post Thanks / Like

Violinmaker - I think the answer you seek is in your original post...talk to the manufacturer of the covering product you choose to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just use what others have recommended and have had success with?