Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuselage repairs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fuselage repairs

Looking for someone to replace lower longerons and do service bulletin 819 on a Tri-Pacer preferably in the Colorado area. Anybody know of a good and fair priced contact for me? I have all the replacement tubing already purchased. What might be a fair price for such a job? Thank you Greg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fuselage repairs

Costs will vary depending on how far you need to go in replacing the tubes. You will need to remove fabric, floor boards, electrical, etc. Doing the welding on the bottom of the plane will not be easy. Replacing small sections could take a few days, replacing entire longerons may take weeks. The cost of the tubing will be your least cost. You can save by doing the prep work yourself.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stephen, the airframe is stripped down to the tubing, all pulleys,cables and fabric has been removed so not much left. I thought I had someone to do this and he has gone sideways on me, so Iím on the search.

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Great, if possible you can rotate the fuselage for good access and complete all the necessary welding. If you are not a welder, you could cut out the bad tubes and fit new tubes for a welder. This is not overly completed welding. Work with your IA so it meets his requirements.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Local EAA chapters should know someone proficient welding aircraft tube fuselages in your area, too.
    Bill
    48 PA-17 Vag C-85