Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: material for elevator drag wires ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: material for elevator drag wires ?

Post Thanks / Like

ok--- that is beautiful art---- shimmering gloosy white PU against clean darcon----

Post Thanks / Like

Got E-Mail from Clyde----- se confirmed piper used gas welding wire ! Thats easy !
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wag-builder View Post
    Piper drawing #12649 says they are 3/32" #1008 Steel wire that Piper welded in, so your ER70s2 should be fine. On the Piper drawing #12650 they say to use masking tape tape around the wire and the outer tube before covering to prevent breaking from vibration on the rudder and elevators.

Steve
    I used welding rod and cloth friction tape (hockey tape) on that brace wire.

Post Thanks / Like

I am ready to replace a couple of mine.... welding a piece of 3/32 wire MIGHT be an adventure in its self------
    Just welded some of the 3/8 piper channel. Its only .025 thick---- My limit is generaly about .030 without burning a hole--- (DC Tig)
    Messed the first one up untill I remembered the trick of a chill block. Slid a block of 1/4 inch aluminum inside it and up into the corner inside of where the bead was going.
    It was still hard--- but that made enough difference that I didnt burn any holes. I would have oxy welded it but I didnt have a small enough tip. (gotta get a meco midget)

T

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t understand your comment 3/32 welding wire would be an adventure? 3/32 is a common size available in ER70S2 and S6. Also available in R45 for gas welding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got plenty of 3/32 tig wire--- What I meant was getting it welded to the tube without overmelting the thin wire.....
    My strategy is to cut a piece of 3/32 tig rod a bit longer than needed---- heat up the appropriate spot on the tube ---
    lower the rod to near the heat till it balls up a little on the end--- lay the rod down flat and let the molten ball fuse with
    the puddle on the tube. Let it cool. It should be MUCH easier to weld after the end is fused--- which will be the beginning of the weld bead. (much easier once the thin part is in thermal contact with the thicker part.) make about 3/4 inch of bead --- then make a gentle bend just past the bead. That's the plan anyway. If that is too squirrely-- I will go to
    plan B.

Just that tiny thin stuff onto heavier stuff can be tricky---- (like the .025 piper channel)

T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post
    Ive got plenty of 3/32 tig wire--- What I meant was getting it welded to the tube without overmelting the thin wire.....
    My strategy is to cut a piece of 3/32 tig rod a bit longer than needed---- heat up the appropriate spot on the tube ---
    lower the rod to near the heat till it balls up a little on the end--- lay the rod down flat and let the molten ball fuse with
    the puddle on the tube. Let it cool. It should be MUCH easier to weld after the end is fused--- which will be the beginning of the weld bead. (much easier once the thin part is in thermal contact with the thicker part.) make about 3/4 inch of bead --- then make a gentle bend just past the bead. That's the plan anyway. If that is too squirrely-- I will go to
    plan B.

Just that tiny thin stuff onto heavier stuff can be tricky---- (like the .025 piper channel)

T
    If you look at the drawings, the wire is cut about 1 1/2” long and each end has about 3/4” bent to lay on the tubing, then just tacked in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I’d just get the acetylene torch out, put the AW203 tip in my Smith touch and just do it. Get a puddle, stick the rod in it, pull the torch away, repeat on the other end , done. Takes 5 minutes. You are obsessing over a simple operation.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 07-30-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The factory one are more than just a tack--- they are about 1/2 to 3/4 in length. I was just a little paranoid after welding that paper thin piper channel. The wires actually welded just fine---- I used 1/16 wire and kept it so the edge of the puddle was at the edge of the wire--- and that worked fine. (like a lap joint-)

I have a nice meco aircrafter torch but only 1 tip for it (which was too big) I see a meco midget it my future for those
    super thin jobs....

Both wires turned out fine--- welds look good and both wires are nice and snug. I spent more time fitting them so they
    were EXACTLY straight-- than I did welding. Only took 2 min once I was prepped.

T