Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Vagabond X/W

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vagabond X/W

I was just out practicing X/W T.O. & Landings (on pavement) in my PA-15/17 with 8.00x6 tires (Cleveland wheels & brakes). The wind was somewhere between 15 to 20 MPH out of 90 degrees. I was using runway 01. It was a little more sporting than my old Cub, but very do-able.
    Not much difference between 3 point and wheel landings. Except I was using more runway with wheelies. T.O.s were easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vagabond X/W

Curious why it was more sporty than your Cub? I have always thought the opposite when comparing crosswinds in a short wing vs a Cub.

Post Thanks / Like

I just mean that with the shorter fuselage it reacts much more quickly (longitudinally) to the wind AND rudder inputs. It also seems to react stronger/quicker to adverse yaw when keeping the upwind wing down. In the Cub, the wind gust picking up the upwind wing also had a longer arm to push on the vertical fin/rudder. So the gust and additional adverse yaw when adding more aileron to keep the wing down pretty much cancelled each other out. In the Vagabond the additional right aileron (X-wind from the right) swings the nose to the left pretty quickly.
    I'll get used to it. That's why I was practicing!
    I've only been flying for 50 years and 10,000 hours. I've still got a LOT to learn. I've been telling my students for the last 47 years, you never stop learning.
    Last edited by DaleLindstrom; 06-22-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I learned to fly in a Clipper and thought the Cub was more of a handful in the crosswind because that wind wanted to get under that long wing. They all are fun cause they teach us different tricks for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I really believe that the Vagabond can handle more wind than the Cub. If the wind is much stronger than 20, I would probably look at a taxiway more into the wind, if no runway was available. It wouldn't need much room! (Not that I've ever done that. )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, and the nice thing about the short wings is when they are three pointed they are usually done trying to fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Use the runway on a diagonal. Reduces cross wind effect, and if the wind is that strong, you won’t have much ground roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Use the runway on a diagonal. Reduces cross wind effect, and if the wind is that strong, you won’t have much ground roll.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree 100%.
    I was doing that on the T.O.s
    But with a 60' wide runway, it didn't help much.