Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoration "strategies"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Restoration "strategies"

Hi all,

As my wife and I sit around and think about the future for our airplane (1950 Pacer), I'm always wondering about "strategies" for doing a restoration on our old airplanes. I know Gilbert and his wife rebuilt their Clipper one piece at a time (or close to it), and put it back together to fly during the flying season. (I hope I read that right, Gilbert!) That approach intrigues me, and I'd like to learn more about it as it seems like a good way to keep flying and also spread out some of the cost... maybe.

Just thought I'd open the conversation on ways others have done recover jobs, interiors, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Restoration "strategies"

I would start in the fall. One wing and back together for SnF in early April. Next year the other wing and installed the left wing tank and removed the nose tank. Then a complete new instrument panel design and implementation. New interior. Then built up an O-320 from parts in cardboard box after all the parts were certified including new cylinders. Now 5 years into it, it was time to do the fuselage and tail feathers.
    We started that in October and finished in early June. Missed SnF that year but made the SWPC Convention and Oshkosh.
    Up until the engine and fuselage I had a real job. Retired and did the engine and then flew it Alaska. The next year the fuselage.

The fuselage was a lot of 12-14 hour days including week ends. Steve built all the sheet metal new and did the tubing repairs and modifications. Wife and I did all the fabric, assembly and painting except for the last coat of red on the fuselage. I was worried about dragging a paint hose or fresh air hose thru the fresh paint so I had a twenty something warbirds painter shoot the fuselage. (Getting old).

The fuselage was the real time consumer. SB819 revealed all the tubing under the sheet metal needed to be replaced, new window frames and windshield header. Built a new front door and rear door bottom half. Fit the doors without the engine hanging. After hanging the engine had to redo the doors and skin. DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE. Previous crappy repairs cut out and replaced. Regular steel tubes had been used instead of liner tubes in elevator. The rear elevator liner tube bracket was trashed as a result. We installed a double pulley trim system. Nice big belly panel built and installed. New glass, individual seat belt brackets, cargo tiedown brackets. etc etc etc. It was not a cover and paint project. The best thing we did was Eliminate all the sheet metal screws I including making all the fabric grommets out of aluminum and riveting nut plates on. Drew those in AutoCad and Steve’s machinist friend water jetted them. You can purchase those from Steve.

Completed 14 years ago this month. Was it worth it? Absolutely.

My wife and I did the same thing to a 1931 Model A Ford pickup. Took 6 months. A one winter project. The engine, tranny and rear end had already been done but body was in pieces.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 06-23-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks for the reply, Gilbert. We are willing to get our hands dirty, too, but I do have concerns about access to some of the resources like you had. (Steve's sheet metal work, etc.) I'm sure there are local resources, too, but that will be part of the process if we decide to restore some day.

You have a beautiful airplane, and I can only imagine it never gets old opening the hangar door!

Post Thanks / Like

Good info on having the engine hangiing for the door fittings, am surprised it would cause a flex in the fuselage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    Good info on having the engine hangiing for the door fittings, am surprised it would cause a flex in the fuselage?
    There was an article in AOPA magazine several years ago with pictures of the Bonanza assembly line. They have a huge weight where the engine goes as the fuselage works it's way down the line prior to engine installation. I found that very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by at7615 View Post
    Ever have door pop open on a hard landing? Fuselage flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Restoration "strategies"

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    Ok, I have not ever had a door open on landing...so I guess I can say I've never had a hard landing, right?

Back to the staged restoration topic - I have a better idea. First you buy a second shortwing that you either begin restoration of, or fly while you tear down your first plane. Either way, you keep one in the air while the other gets rebuilt. Then you can sell one when you have a restored and flying plane. Now I just have to convince my wife that we need two shortwings...Maybe if I call them "his and hers".

Gilbert, can you elaborate on the process that "certified" your box of engine parts? Can a non-A&P but owner do an engine rebuild with assistance/overview by an IA and have it signed off as a certified overhaul? Thx.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    No door drama, YET! My generator quit after a bounce once! Must of scared electrons!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Ok, I have not ever had a door open on landing...so I guess I can say I've never had a hard landing, right?

Back to the staged restoration topic - I have a better idea. First you buy a second shortwing that you either begin restoration of, or fly while you tear down your first plane. Either way, you keep one in the air while the other gets rebuilt. Then you can sell one when you have a restored and flying plane. Now I just have to convince my wife that we need two shortwings...Maybe if I call them "his and hers".

Gilbert, can you elaborate on the process that "certified" your box of engine parts? Can a non-A&P but owner do an engine rebuild with assistance/overview by an IA and have it signed off as a certified overhaul? Thx.
    Engine overhaul on a non geared, non supercharged engine is a minor repair. An A&P can either perform or supervise the work. All work is to be done per the OH manual, and you will likely need some precision measuring tools. There is a SB that covers all required replacement parts. Since you likely don’t have the capability to do the NDI work, all the steel parts will need to go for magnaflux (might as well have that shop overhaul all those parts) and you will likely need to send the case out to dye penetrant inspect and face the parting surfaces and line bore the crank and cam bores. You need to decide if you are going to get new cylinders or have your existing ones overhauled. Be sure to talk to your A&P to determine the level of “supervision” he will require. Don’t forget, by FAA standards, all your measuring tools will also need to be calibrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

One of my businesses is selling snow plows and sanders. Had a customer one time who wanted a plow too heavy for his pick up truck. Wouldn't sell it to him but there are others that don't care. Came back a year later to have me move it to a bigger truck and sell him the right plow. Now we are only talking 1,000 lbs vs 1,500 lbs. Problem was he discovered when he picked up the heavy plow he couldn't open the truck doors. Yea a little weight makes a difference in structure. Makes you wonder what a slow motion camera would show on a hard landing. How I did my rebuild was to tear it all down and do it all at once ( 4 years) but I had other planes to fly.
    -Super Stub-