Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Spinner keeps cracking - what is the trick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinner keeps cracking - what is the trick

Spinner.jpg

Just curious if I'm doing something wrong when I put my spinner back on.
    I lost a spinner the same way (same center screw) 1 1/2 yrs ago. I've had to pull the prop about 4 times this year but didn't expect that I would end up with the same crack on the spinner.
    There is a different backing plate as well. Am I putting to much torque on the screws?
    Not a cheap problem, I would love some insights.
    Curt
    Last edited by cjutzi; 06-28-2019 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spinner keeps cracking - what is the trick

Hi,

I'd check the amount of space between the spinner and backing plate. The screws should get tight enough before they pull holes through the spinner. I'd also suggest nylon washers under the screw heads, and not much more tightening after contact with the spinner, surely shouldn't pull in a dent in the spinner.

Just a guess, but pushing on the screws too hard sometime in the spinners life has bent the backing plates riv nuts further away from the spinner creating too much space. When the screws get hard to use, stainless, stripped heads etc. they get abused and the backing plates suffer.
    Last edited by Jim; 06-28-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    EAA Technical Counselor #4562
    Experimental Aircraft Association #140897 (1977)

Post Thanks / Like

Piper calls for a fiber washer under the screw heads on the spinner. I use them and have not had any issues, but remember they are only 10-32 screws, so tight is all you need.

Post Thanks / Like

Paint or polish, it cracked because it was mad you didn't give it the love it required...

search for for my long posting on this forum on installing the spinner it will save you much heartache and more then a few shekels

Looks to me the screw became tight in the threads before clamping the spinner down to the backplate, movment allowed high frequency vibration to work harden and crack around the screw. Find my post about spinners for a spinner full of tricks all the cool kids are useing.

kidding about the paint and polish

rocket

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post a picture of your backing plate. In another recent thread it was discovered that someone had made their own backing plate previously and it did not allow the spinner to fit properly. The fiber washers are probably helpful as well. Here is the thread with pictures.
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...tting-question

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my hard fiber washers from McMaster-Carr P/N 96100A130, pack of 100 for $12.29. They are for number 10 screw, 0.203" hole 0.438" OD