Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: J3 yellow Enamel

Post Thanks / Like

Default J3 yellow Enamel

I need paint my cowling to match poly tone club yellow. Does anybody know what color enamel I can use? I would like to buy it from the local hardware store or automotive store so I donít have to pay the high hazmat charges through the mail any ideas thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: J3 yellow Enamel

Most automotive paint stores can dupllicate colors. I've had a good size body shop do that for me.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No haz mat on Polyfiber stuff, should be cheap shipping on a quart. As Andy posted, I have had a local auto body paint store mix a spray can of paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I live in small town USA so the Napa store doesn’t have the capability to scan the color. But if there is no hazmat fee might go that route. Univair had a sale on out of date poly-fiber paints and the salesman said the hazmat fee was $33 plus shipping. I’ll try another place. Thanks again

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

talk to the automobile body shops in your location or another town close by (phone calls work fine) to see
    where they go to get paint to match what they need. The shop I have used has books covering every
    paint code used by the automobile industry and can mix that color in house. Haxmat costs are a pain, way over priced.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I know people don't think it will work, but Polytone will work on your metal parts. I know of several plane that have Polytone on the metal and it has been there for more than 15 years, so make a smalll test pan;e and give it a try. Just remember the texture between the fabric and metal is different so there will be a slight difference between them.

Post Thanks / Like

similar issue here, our Clipper was finished in Ran-thane Sun Valley Ivory after a 1987 re-cover, and it's flaking off most of the metal parts ( doesn't seem to be well primed ). Planning to do a few bits at a time, on the fence between using Ranthane in a Preval sprayer or some custom mixed rattle can auto paint, or maybe there's a better idea. Thinking it'll be a better color match from the custom paint and Ranthane appears to require an air supplied mask. Would like to keep flying and not take her out of service for a long time, appreciate your insights...
    Donn
    1949 Clipper PA-16 O-235

Post Thanks / Like

Ranthane definitely requires use of an air fed mask if you want to live a long time!
    I have had my local car paint supplier make me color matched cellulose spray cans. A cost effective way of painting small parts.
    Tony N

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blue44 View Post
    similar issue here, our Clipper was finished in Ran-thane Sun Valley Ivory after a 1987 re-cover, and it's flaking off most of the metal parts ( doesn't seem to be well primed ). Planning to do a few bits at a time, on the fence between using Ranthane in a Preval sprayer or some custom mixed rattle can auto paint, or maybe there's a better idea. Thinking it'll be a better color match from the custom paint and Ranthane appears to require an air supplied mask. Would like to keep flying and not take her out of service for a long time, appreciate your insights...
    The paint being that old I would get it custom matched. Randolph was bought by Polyfiber and the colors did change a bit.