Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Trim tension question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trim tension question

My trim "slips" sometimes during flight. Operates fine on the ground. I have read through this thread but am stumped on how to increase tension on my setup. See the picture I took. I don't look to have the ability to adjust tension on my small pulley back in the tail? Is all of the tension supplied by the spring and pulley up under the headliner? If I follow the spring, it goes behind a tube/pipe that the headliner is glued to and doesn't look to be accessible without removing or tearing that part of my headliner? 1955 TriPacer

Tips?

D800D081-DF48-4E3F-BC3C-22892EC0F047.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trim tension question

I have the same problem. Clean the jackscrew well and lube. Clean the cable till it is free of lube/oil/grease--- I'm still fighting this one because it keeps seeping out. The front spring is how you can tension it, although it is difficult to get to. There is a screw in the clamp holding it to the tube.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You should have a zipper in the headliner that allows access to the tensing spring and pulley in the headliner adjacent to the trim crank.
    The tensioning spring is adjusted by moving the spring clamp along the diagonal tube.
    See Drawing 12988

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never had to increase the tension on a double groove trim system. I have been able to remedy the slipping trim like krwill posted by cleaning the jackscrew threads with a string and pick and cleaning the trim cable with a solvent soaked rag wrapped around the cable while someone works the trim.

Post Thanks / Like

If the tension on the forward pulley spring near the crank was never adjusted properly, that could be the reason.
    Or the tension spring could be incorrect or damaged, or the clamp-anchor slipped so not enough tension.
    Does the blueprint CD show the correct dimensioned position of the clamp-anchor on the fuselage frame member?

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"