Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One solution to the skinny control wheel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: One solution to the skinny control wheel

I totally get the need to use a light touch on the wheel. I have had a number of years in SCCA road racing and high performance driving, including instructing drivers new to driving closer to the car’s traction limits than they’ve ever experienced before. In this case it’s just as important to use tactical and other human pressure sensitivities to judge what the vehicle is doing in response to control inputs. One thing that I’ve always been sensitive to is that a death grip, or wrapping the thumb s or fingers around the wheel can actually result in broken fingers or wrists. So I’ve made it a habit to always drive with a relaxed grip. If the wheel is too small, I find it’s harder for me to get to grip I’m used to. I am also a fan of having a thumb pad that keeps my hand located on a single spot with the wheel. I totally acknowledge this is one of those areas where personal preference and experience are more important than any other factors.

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think adding 3/16" increased size to the wheel is a significant obstacle for viewing the few instruments that are partially obscured.
    You could argue the wing struts, upper cowling, window frames, rear fuselage, wings (with droopy Madras tips!) and passengers obscure the view of traffic and runway during flight, but there is a simple workaround.
    I found the wheels, as well as my head and neck, are astonishingly easy to rotate or move in flight if I occasionally need to see something behind them.
    The feel of the wheel is much better in my large, manly hands with some soft covering, in both the heat of summer and cold of winter, and it covers the worn, 64 year old paint on the yokes.
    And it is super-cool looking with that awesome faux leather look and zippy vinyl lacing stuff.

Just funnin' ya, to each their own.

Cheers,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

And besides, who's looking at the gauges anyways? Half of them don't work as it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Just because I thought of this in the hangar this afternoon.
    I held my phone in the position where my head is in my 55 Tri-Pacer, you can see the minor cover up of radios and instruments.
    And note the cool wrap on the V struts in the windscreen. I really like the look.
    I suppose ram's horn wheels would be a bit better but for me it's not an issue. 20190708_133309.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Last edited by Glen Geller; 07-09-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I have done DER Approvals to install rams horn yokes in PA-22s. I forget the brand, but they are PMA for PA-28 series airplanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have plain wheels and never really thought about covering them as most of the time I fly one handed holding the cross bar with my left hand.
    Last edited by Frank Green; 07-09-2019 at 06:59 AM.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The rams horns that I have installed raised where my arm rested while flying. I did not like it as well as the stock yoke for that reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Eddie's side sticks would look cool but
    I think ultimately I like the original look of the tripacer panel and yokes.
    Funny, when I first flew a tripacer, someone had cut the top portion of the yokes off.
    Last edited by Old3pacer; 07-09-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    And besides, who's looking at the gauges anyways? Half of them don't work as it is.
    Ha!!!

Isn’t that the truth!!

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Being new to the Tripacer, I haven't thought about it yet. But I do like the paracord option from what I've seen. Also I can imagine all kinds of color match possibilities. Best reason to cover in my opinion is because a sweaty wet yoke is no fun to hold.
    Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    I found the hoop too skinny as well. I used paracord as that's what I had and if need be it could be pulled off and used for something else; like if I ever have a spontaneous camping episode.Attachment 15336

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app