Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: O320 upgrade conversion on COLT

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: o-320 STC for Colt

Thanks guys! Now I'll start looking for a core to major. Would appreciate any input from someone experienced with the WagAero STC package. Also, any recommendation about the 150 vs 160 hp.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert would have more current info there, I am curious to if the performance is very noticeable between the 150 and 160?
    I believe with the 150 you can use alcohol free auto gas and not with the higher compression 160. I like the 150 but haven't flown a 160hp, maybe Gilbert kept the same prop when he converted from the 150 to 160 and can let us know. You can probably cruise at a bit of a lower power setting at the same speed with the 160hp and save fuel maybe.. or go a couple knots faster if needed and burn more gas. I am interested if there was a very noticeable climb performance gain?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know offhand if the 108 prop is useable for the conversion? If not could be a big cost driver.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Check the type cert data for the 22-150, lists what you can use and can't. The stc will list as well, but its not available to download from the faa stc page, use to be able to download a pdf of the stc. Call wag and ask them to sent you a generic copy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTJER View Post
    Anyone know offhand if the 108 prop is useable for the conversion? If not could be a big cost driver.

Jerry
    M74DM with an O-320, M76AM with an O-235. Stock Colt prop isn't approved with either a 150 or 160 engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SMO22 View Post
    Gilbert would have more current info there, I am curious to if the performance is very noticeable between the 150 and 160?
    I believe with the 150 you can use alcohol free auto gas and not with the higher compression 160. I like the 150 but haven't flown a 160hp, maybe Gilbert kept the same prop when he converted from the 150 to 160 and can let us know. You can probably cruise at a bit of a lower power setting at the same speed with the 160hp and save fuel maybe.. or go a couple knots faster if needed and burn more gas. I am interested if there was a very noticeable climb performance gain?
    The Peterson STC covers the 160 hp ethanol free premium auto gas.

Post Thanks / Like

WagAero was kind enough to provide installation instructions. Fairly generic. My research so far indicates the only the O-320-A2A or A2B varients are eligable for the upgrade. Anyone know if one is preferred over the other?

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would look at the thread linked on the O-320 upgrade and the type certificate data sheet on the O-320. Any A series will work and the B can be converted. The TCDS will tell you the differences and they are easily modified to the configuration you need.

Post Thanks / Like

How much performance increase from the 0-235 to the 0320