Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: wing cleaning Q

Post Thanks / Like

Default wing cleaning Q

It will be a while before I get to this -----

If I want to clean the inside surfaces of the wings (the spars and the ribs and all that)----
    I am assuming that to do any real job I would have to take the wing completely apart so the parts
    could be cleaned individually--- and the overlap portions could be properly cleaned.

I know I have a few bent ribs from previous rough handling in storage.... and a LOT of dirty dusty grime
    in there. Once I get the fabric off--- would something like a soap up with diluted Dawn liquid and then a rinse
    and then maybe a pressure wash on a low pressure setting be an OK first step before taking everything apart ?

Ideally I would like to get everything clean enough to do a complete check for any corrosion and then chromate or epoxy prime every part in there. I expect mostly what I am seeing is just 20 years of dust and dirt buildup while in storage. But on the other hand--- that can also hold moisture and cause surface corrosion. Am I on the right track ?

One of the previous owners covered them and was about to cover the fuse and tail feathers--- but he got
    cancer and had to back off on the project---- so it just sat and passed through 2 more owners over that
    20 yrs.

I just don't see how any of that could be cleaned with any completeness without taking it apart.....
    (plus--- Im not that impressed with that guy's work from what I've seen of it so far-- kind of sloppy )

Just wanted to verify that Im in the right ballpark on my thinking .

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: wing cleaning Q

Tim
    when I removed the fabric on my wings I had enough flies and grime in there to alter the W&B( exaggerating),

"Once I get the fabric off--- would something like a soap up with diluted Dawn liquid and then a rinse
    and then maybe a pressure wash on a low pressure setting be an OK first step before taking everything apart ?"

Yep

a paint brush with a pail of soapy water worked best- Very time consuming-Hours and hoursd-but I didn't break anything and as you are doing the cleaning you are also doing a visual inspection...

hope this helps
    Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

I use safety solvent, quick and no fear of introducing water into the structure.

Post Thanks / Like

AT----
    Yes-- that's an idea too--- I have never used that --- is it non-flammable I assume ? I do have a nice
    devillebiss wand solvent sprayer that might be good for that ! I think the water would be a concern----

Of coarse it IS 100 degrees here in the summertime--- Might bake out ok---- but water is NOT aluminum's friend !

Would you suggest a particular brand of solvent ? Would you try to catch it in a metal floor drip pan and filter and recycle ?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

What I use comes From Parker solvents in fort smith, Safety solvent is all I know, never got the MSDS. Be sure and wear gloves/ventilation use drip pans, it cleans really good and is fairly reasonable. got a rash from it this winter cleaning out a v-35 that was filthy.