Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First flight in N9645D...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool First flight in N9645D...

Yesterday evening I took my new to me Tri-Pacer up for my first flight and lesson. I got a good two hours of flying before parking for the night. Then this morning I got another good hour and a half of pattern work before church. The only real issue is the inordinate amount of right rudder to keep it straight and coordinated, then fighting the inter-connection to the ailerons... it’ a nonstop right rudder to left ailerons for the entire time flying. Still, I managed a good 7 approaches and 6 landings. This morning. In spite of the issue with the rigging, it’s great fun being back flying after 20+ years.

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First flight in N9645D...

Yes, do check the rigging; it should pretty well be able to fly hands-off, in my limited experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congratulations, glad you finally got to start flying it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I've since learned that my facebook link doesn't work...
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uu...EAmF4bd1w7oFIj

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s the latest update: I gave my keys to Rick at Raven Aviation, and watched him fly away. Several days later he flew my plane back after adjusting the wing dihedral and wash out. The dihedral was too low and different by 1.5 degrees, while the wash out was also different, with one wing having way too much. Finally the interlink cables were just too tight, which caused the rudder to lead the ailerons when using the control wheel. With all that fixed, in level flight it flies hands off!! What a difference!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Alana,
    That's pretty wild that it was so far out of rig.
    I'll bet your landings will be improved, there was probably some disharmony between the rudder and nosewheel too.
    Glad you got it sorted out and she's tracking true and without stress and strain on the pilot or aircraft. Money well spent!

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I’m sorry to say looks like now that I got my Tri-Pacer to where it’s going to be a wonderful airplane to fly... I’m going to be selling her. For very personal reason, getting a Private Pilot endowment isn’t going to happen.... If I’m lucky and sell her quickly and at a good price... I can get a Sport Pilot endorsement and pour most of the money from the sale into my Tailwind. It’s either sell or be stuck in eternal dual time... until the FAA gets around to revising the LSA to include heavier aircraft with more than two seats... After the non-announcement during Air Venture I’m not holding my breath to have it happen in the next couple of years at the earliest...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

There are many people frequenting these pages that have encountered problems in their aviation persuits. Medical, financial, hardware, or experience and many other situations have solutions you may yet not know. Before throwing in the towel, please look into an answer for your latest stumbling block. There are many here, as before, willing to offer help or offer suggestions in your aircraft ownership or enjoyment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

There are many people frequenting these pages that have encountered problems in their aviation persuits. Medical, financial, hardware, or experience and many other situations have solutions you may yet not know. Before throwing in the towel, please look into an answer for your latest stumbling block. There are many here, as before, willing to offer help or offer suggestions in your aircraft ownership or enjoyment.
    Hello Jim,

I really appreciate your assistance and encouragement... But, this IS a fight that I can not win, so sympathy is greatly appreciated.... The fact is it is medical, I've consulted several AME's, I've talked to several members of The 99's, I've talked to AOPA, I've pretty much looked at all the options, read all the regulations as published on AOPA/FAA and other sites. So, I don't make this announcement without deeply considering all my options (Including using my situation to try to change what I consider to be a very broken system, after all I do have my public advocacy space too). The sad truth is, if I fight this, I'm defacto banned from ever flying anything more than a Part 103 ultralight.... And this is a situation that stops women from becoming even private pilots, much less progressing to becoming an ATP.... So, I'm taking the way that I know I am able to fly, which at this point makes the Tri-Pacer too heavy, and has too many seats.... and other Piper options are either too heavy or too expensive.
    So, please sympathize and encourage me. But please also realize, that I've been around this many times, and I don't make this announcement lightly....

-Alana