Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debris in fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Debris in fuel

Few days ago I noticed a couple tiny pieces of black debris in my right tank when pre-flight/sumping tanks. I thought nothing of it thinking it was probably already in the cup (stored in the seat back). I did another sump and all looked clear. Flying... no issues.
    Yesterday same issue came up before flight. It definitely came from the tank. It looks like tiny black paint flakes or something? It has my attention. I havent checked the belly sump screen yet. Couple questions: What steps need to be done, not only to drain and clean/rinse the tank, but the fuel line as well? I presume there's a screen in the tank. Is there one at the carb too? How about possible debris to clog the fuel valve?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Debris in fuel

Check the screen on the fuel sump on the firewall with the fuel line going to the carburetor. It is a fine screen and should catch the debris. The screens on the tank are only good for stopping big stuff.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

DSC05049.jpgHere's what's in the tank(s), two in each tank. They'll only stop the "big stuff."

Post Thanks / Like

You need to pull drain in the bottom of the float bowl and flush fuel thru the bowl. Working a customers champ this morning with trash in the fuel and a stopped up idle jet.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a slight issue with debris in our right side fuel tank -see picture.
    20130613_125053_resized.jpg
    Maybe a bit more than what your seeing. Anyway, as I understand it, there shouldn't be a screen in the belly sump under the passenger seat. However there is one at the gascolator on the firewall. There's also a finer one in the carb. Depending on what you find in those screens, that should determine how much farther -if any- you need to go such as flushing fuel lines etc. Definitely something to monitor going forward though.

In our case we had to actually pull the sump drain as the trash in our tank wouldn't come out that small hole. I think somebody used a gas can that had dirt/leaves in it. Once we pulled the sump drain we had to flush the tank several times before it came out clean. Fortunately we didn't have to pull the tank out. We then worked downstream and cleared all the fuel lines. Now everything that goes into the tank from a can goes thru Mr. Funnel.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    We had a slight issue with debris in our right side fuel tank -see picture.
    20130613_125053_resized.jpg
    Wow! Nothing like that. In the same size sample I'll get maybe two or three 1-2mm size flecks. Not heavy, it'll float around a moment before settling. I do like the "Mr.Funnel". I haven't seen that before but might be worth having.
    Last edited by J Ryd; 07-23-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

So to follow up with my original post, I drained the tanks filter through a "Mr. Funnel" There was more debris although not really a lot. If I were on the Gold Rush show, I'd say I got some color (30+- peices of color) and it was a good spot to prospect After they were empty, I poured a few gallons back in and then drained them a second time. The Gascolator screen had some additional debris, certainly not alarming but more than should be for 25hrs of operation. Carb screen was the same.
    To my disappointment I found that Teflon tape had been used on the 90* fitting to the carb screen, although non was found in the screen. Upon further inspection I see the threads on this fitting are pretty worn, so I will replace it.
    Question... Will any brass 1/4" fitting be acceptable or should I get one from Univair? I'm in Denver so its easy enough (1.5hrs round trip, but further than Ace) to drive over there and pick up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What kind of fitting do you have? Most I have seen are AN type fittings. Do you have a Weatherhead fitting there?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, brass Weatherhead 90° "Street fitting". To that is a 45° male to male AN fitting. From there to the flex fuel line from the gascolator. Is there a better way to avoid the nose wheel linkage?
    Last edited by J Ryd; 08-10-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All I have seen have the AN style fittings and hoses. NAPA or any good auto parts store carry Weatherhead fittings as well.