Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Approved Bendix Mags

Post Thanks / Like

Default Approved Bendix Mags

All

I have a O-320-nothing on my pacer. I was shopping for some spare Bendix mags. My current mags are S4LN-20 and S4LN-21. The part numbers are 10-51360-37 and 10-51360-11. When I look at the TSDS for the O-320, it lists the S4LN-20 and S4LN-21 models but makes no mention of the part numbers. But there are a lot of other part numbers on mags with those model numbers. Are any S4LN-20 and S4LN-21 approved? Or, do I need the exact part numbers? If so, where is that documented.

Thanks for any help.
    Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Approved Bendix Mags

Marc, check 14P tonight, I have the same no-dash engine and I think S4LN-20 and -21 mags.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Marc

Continental Motors Inc. (TCM/Bendix) has an application manual the shows what 10- part number fits each application. Both the -37 and -11 are Bendix 20/200 Series magnetos. The -37 has an impulse coupling and it has a “lag angle” used on the LH side of most lycoming 4 cylinder engines. I don’t recognize the -11 but the right mag is normally a direct drive non impulsed like the -29. Given that these part numbers are obsolete, the are now superseded twice over be careful of buying cores. The rotor could be no longer approved and the older rivet impulse couplings could break the rebuild budget. Make sure they have the newer style rotor and snap ring impulse pins
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 07-25-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Vagabondblues,

Thanks

I've looked for the application guide, but I haven't found it yet. Do you have a link?
    I did find the "superseded" search page.
    http://www.continentalmotors.aero/su...e-history.aspx
    Looks like the -37 is the current part. The -11 is superseded by the -29.

Thanks
    Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I have an electronic version at work. Will post on Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

This may or may not help but it has magneto part numbers grouped with the engines they are used on.
    http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SIL648.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

From memory while doing AD resaerch I believe they are those -29 and -37 you posted earlier for the impulse and non-impulse Bendix mags.

Post Thanks / Like

This seems like an appropriate thread to post my recent experience in. Last July, during my first annual inspection, my left side Bendix magneto came up with an AD note for replacement. The first replacement had an impulse coupling installed incorrectly and without an internal spring and went back. The second, had the impulse coupling correctly installed, but about a month later had an issue where it failed the ground run magneto check. We took it apart and couldn’t find anything wrong with it. I replaced the p-lead and RF filter and it worked great, until a week ago when it failed another magneto check. In the week since we checked the wires from the key switch to the P-lead, and nothing was found. The magneto would work on occasion, and other times it wouldn’t work at all. We wound up taking it off again, finding the coil had zero conductivity through it. On closer examination of the coil we found the ring terminal was incorrectly installed, crimped over the insulation of the coil wire. On checking the conductivity, it was found that this ring terminal would conduct on occasion and at other times would have an open connection. Once properly terminated the connection is now properly connected. We reinstalled the magneto in the airplane and it’s running well.

So. My question is this an item that should be reported to FSDO? Or are they not going to care? I’m just thinking this kind of information might prove useful to someone facing a similar random magneto issue? There might be a QC issue with coils too. It also might prevent an accident?

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like

SDR report, not FSDO

https://av-info.faa.gov/sdrx/Default.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, a report has been submitted
    -Alana