Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hope this is the right section..looking to purchase a tripacer, could use advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hope this is the right section..looking to purchase a tripacer, could use advice

Hello all!

Looking at a few tripacers from 51-59 right now. One airplane has a 150hp 320, and the other has the 140hp 290. The airplane with the 320 is a 59, has 1500 smoh , recent recover, epoxy airframe, older avionics, current annual this year, and good paint, claimed to be hangared it's whole life. No ADS b, and shoulder straps only for the pilot . The aircraft has a 2 inch cut on the wingtip that was covered with clear tape, but otherwise good condition . Also mentioned that the struts and springs for coordinated control were rigged to tight or incorrectly causing the plane to lead with right rudder in right turns, requiring left aileron to maintain coordinated flight. It was repaired by apparently rerigging and adjusting tension on the spring .

My questions are -

From the info,What do I really need to pay special attention to aside from the standard stuff that is talked about in this forum? (Corrosion, fabric condition, overhaul date, strut AD) also, how significant is a cut in the fabric and what does something like this cost to repair? (Is it even repairable easily by qualified individuals?)

The asking is 22k .

Thanks for all the help in advanced, sorry if this is in the wrong location.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hope this is the right section..looking to purchase a tripacer, could use advice

The owner is a “qualified individual” to make a fabric repair. Minor fabric repairs are cheap and easy to fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hope this is the right section..looking to purchase a tripacer, could use advice

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    The owner is a “qualified individual” to make a fabric repair. Minor fabric repairs are cheap and easy to fix.
    Perfect! Simple is always great..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some good information in this thread as well.
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ase-Inspection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deltatango View Post
    Hello all!

Looking at a few tripacers from 51-59 right now. One airplane has a 150hp 320, and the other has the 140hp 290. The airplane with the 320 is a 59, has 1500 smoh , recent recover, epoxy airframe, older avionics, current annual this year, and good paint, claimed to be hangared it's whole life. No ADS b, and shoulder straps only for the pilot . The aircraft has a 2 inch cut on the wingtip that was covered with clear tape, but otherwise good condition . Also mentioned that the struts and springs for coordinated control were rigged to tight or incorrectly causing the plane to lead with right rudder in right turns, requiring left aileron to maintain coordinated flight. It was repaired by apparently rerigging and adjusting tension on the spring .

My questions are -

From the info,What do I really need to pay special attention to aside from the standard stuff that is talked about in this forum? (Corrosion, fabric condition, overhaul date, strut AD) also, how significant is a cut in the fabric and what does something like this cost to repair? (Is it even repairable easily by qualified individuals?)

The asking is 22k .

Thanks for all the help in advanced, sorry if this is in the wrong location.
    Sir I have a 53 tri pacer with o320 150 hp text me for more info and pictures 915-861-9538

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck Dean.

Several of the differences are the shape of the instrument panel, bench seats vs bucket seats... and of course the o-290 vs the o-320. Take it from me, avoid the o-290, it’s down on power and not supported by Avco-Lycoming. Parts can be found, but they’re remanufactured or lower tier aftermarket with upper tier prices.

One more thing, maybe consider the Pa-22 Colt, especially if it’s got the O-320 STC....

-Alana

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crop duster 13 View Post
    Sir I have a 53 tri pacer with o320 150 hp text me for more info and pictures 915-861-9538
    You can advertise your Tri-Pacer in the classified section of this website but you will need to be a paying member. Details on the link under my signature.