Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's the best CERTIFIED 4-place rough country plane? Bushmaster? Maule? C185?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's the best CERTIFIED 4-place rough country plane? Bushmaster? Maule? C185?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskadrifter View Post
    If you paid someone to do all the work it probably wouldn’t be much less expensive.
    I built my Bushmaster (Superpacer) for less than $10,000 and 6 months of my work. And, I'll bet that the Bushmaster can out perform a wide body 4 place super cub in back country flying.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's the best CERTIFIED 4-place rough country plane? Bushmaster? Maule? C185?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I built my Bushmaster (Superpacer) for less than $10,000 and 6 months of my work. And, I'll bet that the Bushmaster can out perform a wide body 4 place super cub in back country flying.
    Being able to do it yourself will always be cheaper. I imagine they perform similarly when empty, but heavy I think the four place will have the edge with a 180hp and PA-18 AOI with the obvious caveat that it takes a good driver to wring out the best performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alaskadrifter View Post
    Being able to do it yourself will always be cheaper. I imagine they perform similarly when empty, but heavy I think the four place will have the edge with a 180hp and PA-18 AOI with the obvious caveat that it takes a good driver to wring out the best performance.
    Mine has 180hp also. With the spar splice I have a bit more wing than a Cub. GW in the Bushmaster is 2100 lbs. My Sullivan wing tips also were an improvement over the Demmer tips I originally had. My empty weight is 1170 lbs with 29" BW's. I wonder what a typical 4 place SC weighs.
    Last edited by Stephen; 03-14-2020 at 01:05 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Mine has 180hp also. With the spar splice I have a bit more wing than a Cub. GW in the Bushmaster is 2100 lbs. My Sullivan wing tips also were an improvement over the Demmer tips I originally had. My empty weight is 1170 lbs with 29" BW's. I wonder what a typical 4 place SC weighs.
    I didn’t know you put on a 180hp, nice. There are only a handful made so far, I’m not sure there is a “typical” weight yet. I think Paul Claus’ was around 1250 on 3” extended gear and 35s. Where the four place shines though is in sheer cargo volume. Whether or not the legal useful load is there is another question. But for $240k I could have my Pacer and a nice PA-18 with the typical Alaska mods.