Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: What is this...

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is this...

Picture is from a PA22 listed on eBay. What is the big lever that looks like a heel brake under the cowl?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is this...

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsareforkids View Post
    Picture is from a PA22 listed on eBay. What is the big lever that looks like a heel brake under the cowl?
    LOL! It is a heel brake. Piper liked to use the parts they already stocked. In the Colt I owned, this was under the pilot's seat. I think they moved it in the later Tri-Pacers.

There is a cable that connects it to the Johnson bar brake handle under the panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, I guess I’ve never seen an original Johnson bar setup. Functional and cheap, but not exactly pretty.

Post Thanks / Like

It was moved under the pilot seat at about the same time they did the trapezoid rear windows... To be specific, it is the left side heal master brake cylinder used in all heal brake "cubs" since the J3... One master cylinder operated BOTH main wheel brakes using the under dash Johnson bar... As you can imagine, that 350 max PSI diaphragm can be a bit anemic at times hence the multitude of STC's for modifying the brake systems of which I own 2 of...

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    It was moved under the pilot seat at about the same time they did the trapezoid rear windows... To be specific, it is the left side heal master brake cylinder used in all heal brake "cubs" since the J3... One master cylinder operated BOTH main wheel brakes using the under dash Johnson bar... As you can imagine, that 350 max PSI diaphragm can be a bit anemic at times hence the multitude of STC's for modifying the brake systems of which I own 2 of...
    Brian.
    I hated having to add tiny amounts of fluid to the Scott master cylinder under the seat. Seemed to require it 2 or 3 times a year to keep brakes working well. That's why Brian gets rich selling STCs😉

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deandayton View Post
    I hated having to add tiny amounts of fluid to the Scott master cylinder under the seat. Seemed to require it 2 or 3 times a year to keep brakes working well. That's why Brian gets rich selling STCs😉
    Only way I'm going to get rich from these things is to sell the whole shebang to someone else who thinks they can... 😉

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevesaircraft(Bri) View Post
    Only way I'm going to get rich from these things is to sell the whole shebang to someone else who thinks they can...

Brian
    That's how you make a small fortune in aviation. You just start with a large one and work your way down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app