Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Piper Crash due to Strut Failure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piper Crash due to Strut Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Green View Post
    When I rebuilt my tri the cross tube in the fuselage between the struts had to be completely replaced. Many years of sitting outside took it's toll under the floor. New struts might give you a warm fuzzy feeling but do you know what they are hooked to? Problem with this incident is we don't know the history of where this plane has been or how it was maintained used or stored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Being aware that there are multiple points of failure doesn’t sound like a valid reason for inaction w/ regards to strut/fork replacement. If you were to apply that theory elsewhere, you could make an argument against ALL preventive maintenance, reasoning that there is no use fixing one questionable item when something else will likely kill you. For me, if my ass is hanging off the side of a mountain, I want the best rope and rigging available. Flying around with original struts and small forks seems like hanging off the side of a mountain with a rotten old rope. FWIW, my fuselage was blasted and powder-coated in 2014, but even if the fuse was original, I would still buy new struts. Just my 2 cents
    I read Franks comments as 'Don't just replace the struts alone and think you're good.', rather than a reason NOT to do the upgrade. To use your analogy, no sense having the best rope and rigging if you're installing it in a rock that's not going to hold.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Airframes is shipping struts for free right now.

Post Thanks / Like

All the freight goes TO Alaska, very little returns so return is cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago when I replaced my struts, I did one each year to fit my budget. I ended up with one Univair and three from Airframes and four big shipping tubes.

Doing the replacement is easy, other than the painting.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

The powder coating that Advanced Powder Coating (the guys that powder coat for airframes) does an excellent job. And yes they can color match.
    They did my frame and lift struts when my bird was torn apart.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    I read Franks comments as 'Don't just replace the struts alone and think you're good.', rather than a reason NOT to do the upgrade. To use your analogy, no sense having the best rope and rigging if you're installing it in a rock that's not going to hold.
    I'm not saying don't buy new struts, I'm just saying there is more to it than just the struts. Interesting in this failure is that the strut broke and not the fork. I wonder if the old forks were current with inspection as well.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some good news is that I don’t need sealed struts. Aircraft has them. What a learning experience. I have Univair Forks, installed in 1999. Part number is 89201-02. Univair superseded then with part number 890201-03. Question is did part number 89201-02 have rolled threads?

Thanks!
    Greg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you have sealed struts then they are rolled thread forks.

Post Thanks / Like

I had new Airframes Alaska wing lift struts and oversized forks installed when I purchased my TP in 2016. They provide physical security and mental comfort. I will note that I had to accomplish refitting of both the fuselage side and wing side fairings because the new strut cross-sections are larger (and stronger) than original.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certainly a newbie, but struts was the one major purchase (so far) that I didn't debate long over. Just didn't make sense not to replace the originals with new sealed ones (+ forks).

Got them from Airframes AK, and I'd agree with their powder coating -- good match there, too, and didn't have the extra cost of getting them painted AFTER they arrived.