Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice: ADS-B “in” receiver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need advice: ADS-B “in” receiver

For what it's worth, I just purchased the Dynon DRX unit. Will report back on how it works. Main selling points were cost and compatibility with multiple flying apps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    I am really looking hard at the BOM. https://shop.levil.com/products/bom-with-adsb Its more money but the ease of use and not having to remember to plug in or turn anything on is appealing.
    If you use FOREFLIGHT and a Stratus for ADSB you can set the Status to come on when it receives power. Mine is powered up when I turn the Avionics switch on. If you remove power it will stay on as long as it senses via GPS the aircraft is moving.
    If it loses power and sense no movement for a period of time, I believe its about 2 minutes, it will turn off.
    I never have to turn mine on or off.

Copied from the ForeFlight Mobile Manual page 335:
    Turn On When Plugged In - when ON the Stratus will turn on when power is provided over the USB cable and turn OFF when power is removed.
    When power is removed the Stratus will turn OFF in 2 minutes only if the speed is < 5 knots. If speed is > 5 knots, the Stratus will not turn off until the speed
    drops below 5 knots, or the power button is pressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    If you use FOREFLIGHT and a Stratus for ADSB you can set the Status to come on when it receives power. Mine is powered up when I turn the Avionics switch on. If you remove power it will stay on as long as it senses via GPS the aircraft is moving.
    If it loses power and sense no movement for a period of time, I believe its about 2 minutes, it will turn off.
    I never have to turn mine on or off.

Copied from the ForeFlight Mobile Manual page 335:
    Turn On When Plugged In - when ON the Stratus will turn on when power is provided over the USB cable and turn OFF when power is removed.
    When power is removed the Stratus will turn OFF in 2 minutes only if the speed is < 5 knots. If speed is > 5 knots, the Stratus will not turn off until the speed
    drops below 5 knots, or the power button is pressed.
    Same here, my Stratus ADSB in receiver is mounted under the dashboard using an external antenna and power source through the Stratus X-ponder. It turns on and off by itself when I turn the avionics master switch on and off.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Following up on my Dynon DRX purchase for what it's worth to anyone.

It performed flawlessly on our trip to a fly-in Saturday. Good GPS signal, good ADS-B performance for both traffic and weather. Despite my very short (~2 hours) test period, I'd recommend it at this point. I used it with FlyQ EFB (my primary), WingX, and even ForeFlight at one point to test. All worked.