Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Cover over rear belly access hole

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cover over rear belly access hole

Well I was thinking of covering over the access hole, that you virtually can’t fit into anyway. I am putting a removable rear baggage panel which will give me way better access to the rear of the airframe, by laying a piece of wood on the lower tubing to lay on. This will also keep moisture and dirt from entering. Am I crazy, well my wife thinks so, but any ideas on this would be appreciated.
    Thank you Greg

Sent from my iPad using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cover over rear belly access hole

I had an access hole put in the back of the baggage compartment. regardless how big you make it , I doubt you will be able to reach clear to the back near the trim jack screw or landing gear spring attach.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Our Pacer does not have one... next time I re do the fuselage I’m putting it back in... I’m 6 foot plus a little and 265... I can loosen the elevator cables and fit my top self through the hole if needed... that front jack screw is hard to get to otherwise..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I increased the size of my bottom access hole, I can't imagine inspecting without a bottom opening. Cleaning and lubricating the jack screw and all the pulleys is a challenge.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree with Stephen. The Dakota Cub Super 20 had the factory panel extended to the tail post. I install a panel from the jackscrew to the tail post on everything I have rebuilt. Good idea to be able to clean out that area and to ease the access to the jackscrew trim system.

Post Thanks / Like

I did this access cover and added one to the right side. No welding required on the bottom panel.

Last edited by wyandot jim; 08-18-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We have the back panel of the baggage compartment that can be opened for full access. It's pretty handy but certainly not for the very back of the tail.
    We still have the "hell hole" small access on the belly. However, it's still hard to get all of the way into the tail. Would certainly like the whole tail open like that triangular access panel.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb