Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nose high attitude at cruise

Post Thanks / Like

Default nose high attitude at cruise

Been burning the air up in the ole pacer and it seems to me that even solo when I am straight and level I am at a pretty nose high attitude. Cruise with the borer prop is around 80 knt at 2450. Add a couple passengers and its even worse. I don't remember my old tripe flying that nose high (look out at the wing in cruise and the leading edge is pointed to the sky). It has Micro VGs on the wing and tail and while it flys fine, it just seems to need more AOA than anything else I have flown when straight and level.

Any words of wisdom other than its a short wing and thats just how it is?

Stewart tips are on the short list of things to do as soon as the summer season slows down a bit here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: nose high attitude at cruise

How much washout is in the wings? With but rib level should take 1 3/8" to level the outboard aileron bay rib. The wing should fly flat no matter what in straight and level flight.

Post Thanks / Like

I will check the rigging when I get back to the plane this weekend. I have a feeling that something is not rigged right. While it may fly hands off when trimmed it just doesn't seem right. The wing darn sure does not fly "flat". Thanks for the reply!

Post Thanks / Like

80 kn is about 92 mph... Might just be from the slow cruise speed. I'm pulling my first notch of flaps around 85 mph, second notch at 75 mph or so.

Any chance you can grab a picture of the wing on the horizon next time you go flying? Just for curiosity's sake.

Post Thanks / Like

I think CamTom is on the right track, when I slow to 80 ias in the pattern the angle of attack is such that the wing is pointed up much more than cruise. Seems like my wing doen't start to appear flat with the horizon til 105 and higher IAS
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When we flew the Super 20 Slotted winged Pacer with the Borer prop we cruised about 105 mph if I remember correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Its the slow cruise speed. I noticed the same thing g when I went from the sensenich with 125 mph cruise (bottom of the wing actually angled down); to the borer and 95 mph cruise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Jason Perkins

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't remember my old tripe being this bad even when I had it on floats with the 81x42 on it. I am thinking the stweart tips might help a bit on it, those are in the works anyway so will see how / if they help.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know much about Borer props. I would say that 80kts at 2450 RPM seems outside of the normal speed profile. Do you have a Cub prop by chance? My 22/20 would do about 115 mph at 2550 RPM. That was a 58" Sensenich. Unless "getting out of the hole" is your real desire you may want to increase the pitch to better match the speed profile. Have also seen props with the blades pulled forward that wouldn't pull well either. Performed much better after an OH.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MN_flyer1 View Post
    I do not know much about Borer props. I would say that 80kts at 2450 RPM seems outside of the normal speed profile. Do you have a Cub prop by chance? My 22/20 would do about 115 mph at 2550 RPM. That was a 58" Sensenich. Unless "getting out of the hole" is your real desire you may want to increase the pitch to better match the speed profile. Have also seen props with the blades pulled forward that wouldn't pull well either. Performed much better after an OH.

Tim
    yes, its an 82X41 or 42, I can't remember right off the top of my head and I am 700 miles away from it right now. Take off and climb is the only real thing I am concerned with. I have a cruise prop too if I want to make a long trip.