Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) STC update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Super Pacer (Bushmaster) STC update

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    PA 12/14 has an excellent roll rate. Why did Piper change?

I believe it was due to manufacturing costs. The cast bell crank, welded steel bracket in the wing, additional pulleys and labor for rigging. Piper was a MFG first it was a financial decision I am sure.

How are your Ailerons compared to the PA-14 you worked on.

I have yet to work on a PA-12 or 14 that came to me with the Ailerons rigged correctly to the TCDS. Many of them have multiple paint colors on the turnbuckles and safety wire indicating they have been out of rig for decades. Also most mechanics rig them to the torque tube stops in the fuselage instead of the stop in the wing bracket and with far too much cable tension. Leading to asymmetric ailerons, out of limits deflection, and the airplane feeling like an old truck without power steering.

Post Thanks / Like

My ailerons are standard SC length and Pacer deflection. Mine are rigged to hit the stops in the wing first then have stretch to hit the stops in the cockpit. My control is an approved stick similar to the PA16. My cockpit aileron stops are in the stick control mechanism. I have to grind the edges of the torque tube to change the stops. My ailerons feels about the same as the Pacer except I have a bit better roll rate. Because my ailerons are larger and are more outboard.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

No, it applies only to 57 and up PA22 models. James says he would attempt to expand the STC but, it takes FAA approval.

The STC includes a landing gear to tail dragger conversion modifying the existing Tri-Pacer gear. The Super Pacer gear conversion would save a great deal of money over the Univair conversion and uses the existing T-Pacer gear attachment points.
    Hey Stephen,
    I think you've mentioned this a couple times. Q1: Is the landing gear conversion also only applicable to '57 up Tri-Pacers? I've periodically contemplated converting my '56 TP to conventional, and the low cost option which utilizes the existing TP mounts is intriguing. Q2: Can one apply ANY portion of an STC but not all of it? Such as only converting the landing gear, and not doing the other parts (wings/fuse) of the conversion? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post
    Hey Stephen,
    I think you've mentioned this a couple times. Q1: Is the landing gear conversion also only applicable to '57 up Tri-Pacers? I've periodically contemplated converting my '56 TP to conventional, and the low cost option which utilizes the existing TP mounts is intriguing. Q2: Can one apply ANY portion of an STC but not all of it? Such as only converting the landing gear, and not doing the other parts (wings/fuse) of the conversion? Thanks.
    Using part of the STC such as the landing gear option is fine according to my conservation's with the FAA. Contact James to verify that your 1956 is not included in the STC. I have forgotten if it started with 57 or 56. You might get a field approval for the 56 if it is not included, if you can show that any difference is not applicable to the landing gear.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it applies only to 57 and up PA22 models. James says he would attempt to expand the STC but, it takes FAA approval.

The STC includes a landing gear to tail dragger conversion modifying the existing Tri-Pacer gear. The Super Pacer gear conversion would save a great deal of money over the Univair conversion and uses the existing T-Pacer gear attachment points.

Is the gear conversion the same as the Blanton gear conversion where the gear are attached at the tripacer attach points and canted forward with that Bücker Jungmeister look?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    “Make it Exp.” is not as easy as you may think. Since it was a Standard airplane, nothing you do to the major components counts towards the 51% of amateur built, so it likely will not qualify for Experimental Amateur Built, leaving you with Experimental Exhibition as the only other alternative. Exhibition has greater restrictions on what you can do with the airplane. Make sure you understand what those limitations are before you start out on this journey. You don’t want to be disappointed when you are finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a bit confusing that "it will not qualify as experiemental when many of these stretch tripacer are running in the experiemntal category?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danP View Post
    That's a bit confusing that "it will not qualify as experiemental when many of these stretch tripacer are running in the experiemntal category?
    Several years ago FAA changed the way they figured the “major portion” to qualify for Amateur Built. No work done on components that came from a previously certified airplane can count towards the 51% as they now consider that to be Part 43 maintenance, not assembly or fabrication. They have a fabrication and assembly checklist that you need to complete to figure if you meet the 51%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danP View Post
    Is the gear conversion the same as the Blanton gear conversion where the gear are attached at the tripacer attach points and canted forward with that Bücker Jungmeister look?
    I believe this is correct but, it would be interesting to see side view pictures of both of these mods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Several years ago FAA changed the way they figured the “major portion” to qualify for Amateur Built. No work done on components that came from a previously certified airplane can count towards the 51% as they now consider that to be Part 43 maintenance, not assembly or fabrication. They have a fabrication and assembly checklist that you need to complete to figure if you meet the 51%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    But you can spend two weeks at Cub Crafters and fly home in your new EAB Carbon Cub with an experimental data plate listing you as the builder.
    Go figure?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    But you can spend two weeks at Cub Crafters and fly home in your new EAB Carbon Cub with an experimental data plate listing you as the builder.
    Go figure?
    Nobody can figure out the FAA. They’re not happy until you’re not happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk