Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rear seats ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default rear seats ?

Did a pa-22 have a rear seat that was a cloth sling or was it a regular wire sprung upholstered bench seat ? Did it depend on the year ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: rear seats ?

Both. My sling, bottom and back, supports the tube frame that rests on top of the sling.

Post Thanks / Like

What he said.

I’m headed to the hangar today, I’ll snap some photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Seats vary by s/n. See 13909, 13038, 14460, 15033 drawing on SWPCLUB drawing CD.

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s mine. Originally from a 59 Tripe.

The seatback is just slung between the streamlined tube at the top and the removable bottom frame (you can see part of it in the second picture - it’s red).

The front edge of the seat bottom fits into the removable metal frame and the rear part of the seat bottom is just held up with the seatback sling.

The seat bottom itself has a frame and springs and whatnot.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone messed with some folding rear jump seats like the atlee dodge 180 seats? I am thinking about something like a folding right seat that you could quickly fold agains the fuse on the right side and a quick remove left seat.

CamTom, are you the proud owner of the RupRacer? The pics above look familiar!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akflyer View Post
    Has anyone messed with some folding rear jump seats like the atlee dodge 180 seats? I am thinking about something like a folding right seat that you could quickly fold agains the fuse on the right side and a quick remove left seat.

CamTom, are you the proud owner of the RupRacer? The pics above look familiar!
    Don’t think you can make a faster removable seat that you already have. Takes all of maybe 5 minutes to pull the seat bottom, unhook the lower tube and slide it out. Then just fold the sling and back up onto the hat shelf. It might take a couple minutes more to unstrung the top of the sling to remove the sling and back if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Don’t think you can make a faster removable seat that you already have. Takes all of maybe 5 minutes to pull the seat bottom, unhook the lower tube and slide it out. Then just fold the sling and back up onto the hat shelf. It might take a couple minutes more to unstrung the top of the sling to remove the sling and back if you need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The folding jump seats for the 180 can be pulled in seconds and folded up flush against the cabin wall in even less.

Post Thanks / Like

YESSS--- that helps greatly to see the overall rigging and general layout. i will have to look and see if I have the bottom tube in the parts pile.

Thanks--- tim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gil--- will check those drawing #'s.
    I guess people COULD sit on the the naked sling part if they had no cushons---- I think I remember some of the older plane just had slings and no cushons.... some may have been wicker jobs.... (fairchild 71)

Tim