Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Slick Harness Screws

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slick Harness Screws

I installed new slick mags and the kit came with a new harness. Each mag has three screws that hold the harness "distributer" cap to the mag. The screws included were countersunk with a torx head. The issue I have is I don't have all the screws and was wondering if anyone knew either the part number for these screws or the angle of the countersunk head (i.e. 82, 100, 120 degrees).

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Slick Harness Screws

Part number I am showing is M1553. Champion bought out the Slick line and might have changed numbers. I have a set of six screws with the straight slot. Appears to be 140 degree countersink. I can send you these if needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The go to guy at Champion on Slick magnetos is Joe Logy. He was the tech guy at Unison prior to the sale. Had dealt with him on the bad cams and carbon brushes when he was at Unison and talked to him at OSH and he is very knowledgeable about the Slick line of magnetos. He can be reached at 904-772-1909 or slicksupport@champaero.com . Seems Unison made everything down to the nuts in house. Champion plans to farm it all out and use their superior Quality Control program to catch vendor problems. We will see.

Post Thanks / Like

And you forgot to mention that the Champion engineers are redesiging the whole Slick magneto to improve it. i.e. they are cost reducing it-watch out.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve:

Thanks for the info and for offering to send out the screws; I really appreciate it. I found ACSpruce hass them and since I'm placing an order for some other stuff, I'll just lump them in the mix and save you a bit of hassle.
    Thanks again for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, the 'New & Improved' Slick magneto harness screws now have a T-20 Torx head. No biggie, unless you have a clearance problem as I do. My offset ratcheting screwdriver worked fine with slotted screws - no more! I found some small T-20 bits on e-bay with 1/4 hex that work for me. Cannot use ratchet - 1/6 turn with a tiny 1/4 inch ignition wrench. Just another P.I.T.A.

Jerry King

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Micro ratchet for those 1/4" bits work great. Actually easier than the slotted screws for me. Saw one at O'reilly Auto Parts the other day.
    61VYJA8n+tL._SL1000_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-85.../dp/B0062FSAVI