Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cylinder Base Stud Loctite

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cylinder Base Stud Loctite

Fuel lube/EZ Turn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    "Kind of like putting fuel lube on magneto gaskets prior to installation so that I can rotate the mag to adjust the timing over time."
    That's a good tip Steve!
    What do you use on the gasket of oil pressure screen housing? I have used a wee bit of Pliobond, or Permatex gasket goop, but that can sometimes be as drag to remove the gasket at annual.

Thanks,
    GG
    I've had much luck with fuel lube on the oil screen gasket. Takes going around multiple passes with the torque wrench to ensure all the excess is squeezed out . But everything comes right apart, and a little isopropyl alcohol on a clean rag gets it off all the components.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have not been able to find any data from Lycoming on removing the studs and reinstalling them from the crankcase. Ken told me they have had issues with overhauled crankcases leaking oil out of the studs and said that when they are cleaned and vatted at overhaul the sealant originally used when built is compromised. After overhaul of the case they remove the studs and magnaflux them and reinstall using the products I listed. My understanding is they are using it as a sealant, not to restore fit. I would call it a standard practice if I was ever questioned about it. Kind of like putting fuel lube on magneto gaskets prior to installation so that I can rotate the mag to adjust the timing over time.
    The original poster said it was a replacement stud. Section 3-33 of the lycoming direct drive overhaul manual has the verbage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 08-28-2019 at 07:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn’t heard of using it until the owner of a warbird restoration shop had me put some on a gasket I was installing on one of his engines but white lithium grease works well for the oil screen housing and magneto gaskets. I don’t recall ever needing to squeeze any excess out. The surface of the gasket just needs to be wetted so I tend to wipe off any excess before installing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    The original poster said it was a replacement stud. Section 3-33 of the lycoming direct drive overhaul manual has the verbage.
    OK, what is specification JAN-A-669?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, so I looked it up and it is an anti-seize. Thank you Todd for finding that. I looked through section 7 under crankcase and should have looked under section 3 General Overhaul Procedures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Fuel lube/EZ Turn
    Thank you Steve and Jason, I will try that next time.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So I called Lycoming yesterday morning at 7 am local time. They usually answer since they are just getting there on eastern time. They didn't but did call me back yesterday afternoon. They use food grade Loctite that acts as a sealer and anti seize. Remember to check the minimum driving torque as called out in the table of limits to check how tight the stud is into the crank case. That is an important one to do with oil leaking as well.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 08-30-2019 at 07:23 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Great Info. Thanks to all responders.