Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Aircraft with new fabric but no Form 337??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Aircraft with new fabric but no Form 337??

I’m looking at purchasing what appears to be a very nice PA22/20. I haven’t seen the plane in person yet but had the owner send me pics of the logs. I also did an FAA Records search. The log books show that the
    aircraft was out of service for several years during the 90’s and was recovered using the Ceconite process
    then returned to service in 2000. There was no 337 for the process in the FAA records search. The owner said he and his current mechanic didn’t think one was required. He’s trying to contact a previous mechanic that had maintained the plane. He said that one way or another he would get a 337 filled out and submitted.
    My question is this. If they cannot contact the mechanic that did the original work to get his signature, is there a pathway to obtaining a Form 337 to document the work. If not, what has to be done for the plane
    to be legal to fly. And, when it comes time for me to sell the plane at some point down the road, how big of an issue will this be if the 337 is filed out of sequence etc.
    I’m trying to determine if it’s better to just walk away. I did submit a small deposit for him to hold the airplane initially.
    Your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aircraft with new fabric but no Form 337??

I had the same issue with RaggedyAnn when I first bought her. 1987 recover in the logs with the correct STC number for Stits, but no 337 on file with the FAA. I called the FSDO, explained the situation, and suggested that a 337 form be filled out referencing the previously completed recover job performed by persons unknown, but with a statement that an inspection revealed no readily apparent failure to comply with the STC. They agreed that this would be the best way to cover myself without taking ownership of the work. A 5 minute phone call to poly-fiber(consolidated aircraft coatings) returned the correct revision number of the manual from 30 years ago, and for no charge John arranged for a copy of that revision to show up in the mail 5 days later for me to reference during the inspection. Simple, painless (relatively), free (almost), and much better than flying around in an airplane with no record of a major alteration. This has the potential to be an excellent price dropping discovery if the current owner has no interest in, or no ability to correct this issue prior to the sale. Just make sure your IA and the local FSDO are on board prior to the transaction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have had to document other mods like RaggedyAnn on 337 referencing "by persons unknown"

Post Thanks / Like

I’d hate to count the number of 337s I’ve filed that say performed by person or persons unknown, inspected and found to comply with STC XXXX. The hard part for the owner is if they don’t have a copy of the STC, they may have to buy a new copy just so it can be conformed. Had one several years ago where the original STC holder was nowhere to be found. There was a similar STC from another vendor. Owner had to buy the new STC and some pieces so I could confirm it to the new STC. Cost him a couple grand! Make sure you keep copies of all the STC paperwork, you never know what you may need in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. It appears at least there is a pathway forward.
    Another question is... assuming the current owner corrects the 337 issue, does that affect the purchase price? In other words, when I sell the plane at some point in the future, is someone going to “ding” me on the price because of somewhat of a discrepancy in its history? And should I plan to pay a little less now to account for that?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a follow up note. I elected to pass on buying the aircraft. There were just too many questions for me with the logs. I am a happy new owner of N20PP which has all of the bells and whistles (and more) that I was looking for with good logs.
    Thanks for the input.