Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Optional rear heat muff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Optional rear heat muff

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Glen is referencing the exhaust pipe to muffler and Troy and Walt are referring to the heat shroud that goes over the exhaust pipe on the right side. I use the red/high temp RTV at both contact points. I apply a thin film, let it dry and then install. Keeps from the two metals rubbing and wearing through.
    I was talking about the elbow shroud to the header. I advised against bonding it to the header as it would be difficult to disassemble at annual. But I did bond a thin alum doubler to the inside wear (worn) areas with red rtv.
    Steve's idea of putting a thin film of red rtv on those contact areas and letting it cure BEFORE assembly is a good one.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Glen, that was my take-away as well -- just a layer on the small end to reduce chafing there. Yes, apply RTV, then let it cure first.

Thanks to all for thoughts & suggestions! And yes, I'll be d%$#ed sure to switch those two scat tubes! Here's a couple shots looking up from below that clearly show the incorrect routing....

DSC08154.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 12-13-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

One more step...

Switched scat tubes around today, plenty of length for the change. Marked new heat muff for holes on the flanges for screws/locknuts, will punch holes for mounting. One bit at a time.

At least I now won't have to worry about CO entering through rear heater duct.... Thanks again for the heads up, Steve.

DSC08188.jpg
    Last edited by walt.buskey; 12-29-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I had to extend the end where it had broken off on mine. Had been patched before once already. I think I need to make a die and try to press a new one out. Be a fun project.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk