Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone know lower longeron size ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default anyone know lower longeron size ?

I was continuing the blasting on the 22/20 around the bottom of the tail post.
    Found some heavy pitting on the longeron where the lift strut plate is welded on.
    The other side has pitting AND a big ugly hole. It appeard that it is outside-in type
    rust. Looks like wet mud sat on top of the lift strut bracket for an extended period.

It has a previous inner tube splice on the last 3 feet of tubing there.....
    so I might as well go forward of that old splice I suppose.

does anyone know the lower longeron tune wall thickness ? The piper disk shows it by part number---
    and the parts manual doesn't seem to show that as a separate part # --- all I saw was the whole fuselage…..
    (a part # might work too- then I could look it up in the piper disk----

Need to know what wall is to know what sizes to order.....

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts …..

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: anyone know lower longeron size ?

There is a print with the part numbers that call out material and size.
    I just finished repairing a tail and the size you need is .75" x .035" wall 4130 chromoly

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you JP----
    I must not have figured out yet how to look parts up in the parts manual---
    I found a table in the piper CD with tube size and wall and part numbers-----
    Where do I find part numbers for each individual tube---- is that in the parts manual ?

Post Thanks / Like

On the Vagabond CD, drawing 11042 lists all the tube sizes with part numbers.
    Tony N

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Look for the tube part number, that is the drawing number which has the call outs for each tube, diameter, thickness and length. Also the fuselage drawing shows where all the factory splices are.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

When I replaced a longeron on mine there was a tube inside a tube in there too. I assumed it was originally factory installed to strengthen through the zone.

Post Thanks / Like

JPerkins, Steve and others---
    When I look at 3/4 .035 wall cro-mo-- has an ID of .680. What do you use to sleeve it on the inside that will be a
    reasonably good fit ? If I use 5/8 for sleeve I am up over .060 inch wall (or more) of 3/4 tube to get a tighter fit.....
    Is there any non-cro-mo tubing with an OD closer to make a sleeve from ? I could maybe check other sources --
    maybe metric sizes (if there is such a thing--) ---- that happens to come out really close to 17 mm... ????
    I think you would want the fit between the sleeve and outer tube fairly close-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

5/8" is legal according to the AC43.13 but I use a .120" wall 3/4" tube and turn it down to a nice fit inside the longeron for liners.

Post Thanks / Like

I have found advertised a couple places that sell metric seamless tubing. What it will cost and if it is REALLY
    available-- we will see.

Now that I look at the problem---- it LOOKS like I will have to remove the lower longeron all the way back to where it welds to the tailpost. If I tried to splice in a segment using the inner tube method---- I don't see any way to get inner tubes in place AND get the outer tube where it goes---- is there a way I havnt thought of ? ( it has an old repair in the longerons
    where they did replace a section about 15 inches long using inner tube method--- so how did THEY do it ?..... without
    bending something---- what am I missing ??? )

If I DO run the new pieces out to the tailpost---- I see the ends of the longeron are formed into a crook where they weld to the post. This crook looks too sharp to be a conventional tube bend. Is this sharp bend made by pie cutting the end and re-welding to make the bend that way ?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by violinmaker View Post
    I have found advertised a couple places that sell metric seamless tubing. What it will cost and if it is REALLY
    available-- we will see.

Now that I look at the problem---- it LOOKS like I will have to remove the lower longeron all the way back to where it welds to the tailpost. If I tried to splice in a segment using the inner tube method---- I don't see any way to get inner tubes in place AND get the outer tube where it goes---- is there a way I havnt thought of ? ( it has an old repair in the longerons
    where they did replace a section about 15 inches long using inner tube method--- so how did THEY do it ?..... without
    bending something---- what am I missing ??? )

If I DO run the new pieces out to the tailpost---- I see the ends of the longeron are formed into a crook where they weld to the post. This crook looks too sharp to be a conventional tube bend. Is this sharp bend made by pie cutting the end and re-welding to make the bend that way ?

Tim
    Tack a piece of welding rod on the end of the inner tube, slide the inner tube all the way and feed the welding rod through the farthest rosette hole drilled in the outer tube. Use the welding rod to pull it most of the way, break off the rod, then ice picks to nudge it the rest of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk