Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone know lower longeron size ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: anyone know lower longeron size ?

OK --- I will sit down and draw that out and see If I can figure that out.
    Thanks--- Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just use a scribe to slide the liner tube through the rosette hole. End of the longerons are formed with heat at the tailpost. Sounds like you need to study the 43.13 that covers splices. Lots of options

Post Thanks / Like

Couple years ago I did a rudder repair- the rib tubes turned a very sharp elbow and welded into the main post. I made a
    Steel rod shaped like a spoon on the end that I inserted into the top of the 1/4 inch tubing--- heated the tubing-- used the
    spoon to bend the tube while red hot-- stepping the tool out a little after each bend till I had a sharp 60 degree crook. The cross section of the spoon kept the tubing from flattening-- the spoon's surface was hardened and polished so as to leave no marks behind. Maybe that would work for bigger tubing too. If those ends are OK and not rusted-- I will put the diagonal cut just forward of them.

I was kink of hoping to do the inner tube because its clean looking and doesn't show through the fabric like some of the other styles---- but yes--- never hurts to review all the options to find what fits in the best---
    The metric is about 2 or 3 thousandths smaller than the 3/4 tubing--- if I can get it.
    I think I see how to thread a wire through the rosette hole now--- good idea !
    Thanks again--- have to go review the textbook some more ! Been a while since I have read all of it on splices....

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

If you're looking to achieve a friction fit when making unner tube splices, your problems are just starting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Without any pictures of what your dilemma is I don't know what your problem is. I have repaired more fuselages than I can remember and have always used inner sleeves for the same reasons you have posted. I have split tubes, slid liners through with a scribe and have figured out how to do lots of different things over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont over think it. The 5/8" tubing will work just fine, and has so for (how long have they been building airframes with tubing?) 80+ years.
    If you replace the whole longeron the end of it is just heat and beat. Get it red and tap it into shape. 20190908_152759.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

DEDINATELY don't want a friction fit---- just didn't want it rattling round loose in there if I could find something a bit closer.

The spring bracket is cheap (36$) so that wouldn't be too bad to replace if I take the tube off to the end. Was thinking if I can find a good fitting inner tube - I can let it extend all the way to the back as extra beef for the spring bracket.

Taking the existing spring bracket off would also allow me to remove the short bushing in the lower end of the tail post.
    (maybe with a piloted drill- going up from the bottom) -- which would simplify doing a sleeve in the tail post. (as that bushing is in the way ---)

FYI to everyone---- I LOVE to overthink everything--- its like OCD---- Im trying to reform on the 12 step program---
    but I need support from all the normal people out there---- been fighting it all my life. all most couldn't get through
    4 semesters of calculus because of it---- (like swimming with an anvil there ! )

I will post a pic of the little rott problem for your all's inspection.....

I may try to get my fuselage rotisserie working so I can roll it to do the cutting and welding easier. Part way through that now...

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't know of a bushing in the tail post. Would be a good idea to add an inner sleeve there. The Pacer and Clippers had a liner tube from the tailpost forward 8-10" in the lower longerons. It is shown in the drawings along with the liner at the strut attach fittings.