Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Thanks for having me everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for having me everyone!

Hello from Arkansas!
    As I learn my way around here please be patient with me.. lol My question is this, how does a modified PA 20 (ie lengthen fuse, different landing gear, new tail, wing mods) become able to be registered as a experimental? Forgive the new guy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thanks for having me everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedSTOL View Post
    Hello from Arkansas!
    As I learn my way around here please be patient with me.. lol My question is this, how does a modified PA 20 (ie lengthen fuse, different landing gear, new tail, wing mods) become able to be registered as a experimental? Forgive the new guy
    Modifying a certified aircraft does not generally meet requirements for experimental.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

But it used to work that way, so lots of people have a hard time rectifying what has been previously done with how experimental builds are being managed now...

But these days if you use certified parts in your build, the FAA doesn't see that as qualifying for an experimental certificate for the most part.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for having me everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedSTOL View Post
    Hello from Arkansas!
    If you want to go Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB), I think your best bet will be to source new, never flown parts and assemble them. Like a Wag Aero Sportsman 2+2 fuselage, maybe ribs/spars from Dakota cub, etc. (Although at this point it would make more sense to just build a kit plane and modify it as you see fit).

My understanding of the FAA's position is that if a part has been on a certified aircraft, the builder doesn't get credit towards the 51% checklist (required for E-AB) for any tasks associated with that part.

Buuuut, it would be possible to take a certified PA-20, modify it how you please, and then certify it as Experimental. It'll just be in a different category than E-AB. Maybe exhibition, for example. Those other categories are still Experimental, but have operating restrictions and rules that E-AB and type certificated aircraft don't have.
    Last edited by CamTom12; 09-07-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Registration is independent of certification. You donít register an airplane as an Experimental. As others have said, there are a lot of different flavors or purposes of Experimental certificates and each has different operating limitations, and all must be operated per 91.319 which says it can only be used for the purpose for which the certificate was issued. The most liberal is Operation of Amateur Built. The problem with taking an aircraft that was certified as Standard and trying to make it an Amateur Built is that FAA sees all work to the existing structure as Maintenance of an existing airframe and not building something new. All the work on an existing fuselage, for example, to make it longer is not counted towards the 51%. The key to figuring if you could qualify as Amateur Built is to get the checklist https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/...syCklistFW.pdf and work through that checklist to see if the planned project would qualify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Registration is independent of certification. You donít register an airplane as an Experimental.
    Thanks and good point, I fixed my post. Words have meanings!