Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stabilizer inspection cover/Fabric repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Stabilizer inspection cover/Fabric repair

That makes sense. It'll be at least that much effort, if not more, to cover the hole and start again. I can use one of the covers to draw a template, then extend it. Making a clean cutout will be key to making a nice finished product.

Sent from my SM-G892A using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would do as Stephen posted, make a larger aluminum grommet that will have to be split to install around the liner tube to the stabilizer. Glue it in with Stewarts glue because it has no solvents to disolve the finish on the fabric. Then make a custom inspection cover to cover all the old screw holes and with the cut out for the liner tube. After it is all installed use a hair dryer slowly and carefully to pull out the loose area in front of the cover.

Post Thanks / Like

A little bit off of the wall but has anyone tried to add something to deter birds from getting into this hole? I was thinking about that material that looks like strands from a broom. Wouldn't stop a motivated animal but it would make for a little bit less of an inviting hole. Don't know how the FAA would feel about it though.

Sent from my SM-T350 using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Stabilizer inspection cover/Fabric repair

I've actually thought about that before. My thinking was a couple thin strips of rubber about 1" wide by 1/16" thick attached to the cover itself. Think how much faster you could go too

Post Thanks / Like

This is the stuff I was envisioning. Apparently it's called a "strip brush". Wouldn't need to be too dense of a bristle as it would be just a deterrent for something to crawl past it.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Would also clean up the aerodynamics a little. Not much, but a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a couple Shortwings where the owners had fabricated clear plastic covers in place of the aluminum ones on the fwd stab travel area, and made oblong clear covers that were fixed to the fwd stab tube, riding up and down and covering the slot. Can't recall exactly how they were attached or kept in alignment.
    He also made slightly oversized clear covers for the rest of the several inspection covers in the tail section, on both sides etc.
    Inside of the aft fuse was real clean and presentable to anyone peering through the clear plastic.
    For 14P, I will keep the aluminum covers to hide the years of fun and abuse.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen clear covers too. As far as a sliding cover that rides with the rudder, not sure how that would work because there's not enough room for the cover to ride on the inside without running into frame.
    But... an accordion type material or telescoping pieces could work. Or just cover it like it was designed and go fly.

Sent from my SM-G892A using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app